Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Impreza: brakes making clunk noise

Options
  • 28-08-2006 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Impreza 1.6 -
    Recently the brakes have started making a clunk noise when the pedal is depressed. The noise seems to come from under the car. (At first I thought I was driving over manhole covers!) This only happens after the car moves off and is moving slowly. Then it stops. Any ideas?.....I know the one about going to the garage - but it would be nice to be armed with a little info first! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

When you say the brakes are making a clacking noise does this only happen when you apply the brakes?

If this is the case i would be 100% sure that one of your brake pads is lose. If you put the the car up on a jack and remove the wheel, you can check if you know what side its coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Yip - only when I apply the brakes the first time, after taking off. That's it until I stop the car and take off again. If I have to slow down very soon after moving off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I would be sure then its a brake pad loose. The brakes ( not sure on a Impreza ) they fit and sit on little groves ( hard to explain ) they might need replacing or they are weren't the correct size.

I would take the wheel of and start the car and get someone to gently apply the brakes and you will no doubt here the sound. I would imagine if its lose you should be able to fix it yourself no probs, but be very careful that if you put the car on the jack and jump in, it doesn;t slide of the jack. The you will have a big problem.:)

Let us know how it goes and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

If you get a clunk when you move off or come to rest it could also be driveshafts or CV joints. Check to see if any of the boots over the CV joints have split.

Advertisement