Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test...

Options
  • 27-08-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hey..
    Ive recently rang up 4 insurance companies to get a quote..
    Im on a provisional and never insured before..
    They told me that I must have 10 driving instructions before they will insure me..
    I have been driving for about 2 months in short distances and i closed places with supervision with my parents...
    Is there any way of avoiding these insructions??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nope.

Unless you want to tell them you have 2 months experience driving uninsured which I doubt will impress anyone.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Only a couple of stretches for two months you say?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51449807&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Driving lessons usually make you a better driver, surely that's what you want to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote:
    Nope.

Unless you want to tell them you have 2 months experience driving uninsured which I doubt will impress anyone.

In fairness to the OP he did say in "closed places" which I presume means private property. The requirement to have insurance only applies if the vehicle in driven in a public place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I think lesson's are great when starting off ,you've the freedom of the open road and nothing to worry about ,except what you need to worry about.

Make things as easy for yourself at the start as possible ,I can still remember my first lessons ,you'll never forget them.

I also think full licence holders should do a refresh course/instruction drive every five years or so ,but this won't happen here obviously for a long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ballboy wrote:
    with supervision with my parents...

Realllly realllly bad idea. Even if they're driving indstructors. Do not get in and drive a car with your parents or anyone else other than an instructor UNTIL YOU PASS YOUR TEST
    Ballboy wrote:
    Is there any way of avoiding these insructions??
    Thanks
    Why would you want to. 11 Lessons €250.
    Premium reduction would be more than that I'm sure.

Just get the lessons or stay off the road altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

Why would you want to. 11 Lessons €250.
    Premium reduction would be more than that I'm sure.

Just get the lessons or stay off the road altogether

Na mate thats the thing I doesnt reduce my premium whatsoever.. And Im already paying 2000 for it so any way to save me a bit of cash would be lovely but hearing what everyone has to say.. I think Id be a lot better with a few instructions under my belt..

Only a couple of stretches for two months you say?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...07&postcount=1

And someone has done their homework.. I said this when I had just got my provisional and thought I would be able to get on he road straight away..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ninty9er wrote:
    Realllly realllly bad idea. Even if they're driving indstructors. Do not get in and drive a car with your parents or anyone else other than an instructor UNTIL YOU PASS YOUR TEST

Wow, I've heard it all now. Either you're being satirical or you really didn't stop to check if the logic of your statement was even internally consistent.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hehe, I think he may not have spotted the fact the OP has a provisiona already?

I learned both from an instructor and from my dad, the time spent with my dad was very valuable. Get in the car as much as you can with an experienced driver and know the theory in case they are teaching you bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Take the classes. Although you have probably learnt bad habits from your parents already and from the driving uninsured.

I would recommend doing it soon and stay off the road until you get insured. Only takes one gardai to stop you and you will be off the road for a long time and the insurance companies wouldn't be too happy with you either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres a website called how it works ,I know it's for kids but it gives animated details how a transmission works in a car .
    Can be interesting if you've never seen what a clutch actually does and makes it easier to understand where things are under the bonnet of your car.
    I'm sorry if you already know this stuff ,apologies:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Why should you take Driving Lessons?

Driving Lessons will teach you such things as how to Anticipate, React and Control.

‘Anticipation and Observation’ If you think it might happen if probably will. Eg Child running across the road, Car pulling out, Traffic lights change.

‘React’ So what do you do? SLOW DOWN so if you need to stop you can.

‘Control’ How do you slow down? You Brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Stark wrote:
    Wow, I've heard it all now. Either you're being satirical or you really didn't stop to check if the logic of your statement was even internally consistent.

Apologies. Driving testers are ok too.

Seriously. Everyone told me how to drive after I passed my test, my grandparents who bought their licences in the 60s, my mother who passed her test the 4th time round after 22 years (6 months before me) and my dad who had no patience for me, even though a steady driver.

Get proper lessons like is necessary in places like Scandanavia and Germany, maybe not to the same extent, but look at their road fatality figure percentiles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I recommend getting the lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Get the lessons - may save you bigger costs later on.

Advertisement