Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debbie

Options
  • 27-08-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just caught the weather on RTE 1 and they were talking about the remains of Tropical Storm Debbie which we are due to see on Wednesday. I assume that it will just mean rain and wind but I am wondering if there may be a chance of something more extreme from this? I wouldn't mind a good storm! Do these things be pretty much dead by the time they reach our shores?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

It will become Extra tropical,but will mean a lot of rain from a dead storm.
    Its not uncommon to get the leftovers from Hurricanes Tropical storms etc.They lose there wind energy as they are over much colder waters but they still retain a lot of moisture within in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's hoping it reaches Dallas! ;)Debbie Does Dallas Geddit? :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Mike Mike Mike!!!!! *Shakes head* :rolleyes: :D

Back on topic.. Some of the tail ends of storms we got in recent years have been fairly crazy, but never really this time of the year, the worse ones I recall seem to be in or around end if Oct - Nov period..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Mike Mike Mike!!!!! *Shakes head* :rolleyes: :D

Back on topic.. Some of the tail ends of storms we got in recent years have been fairly crazy, but never really this time of the year, the worse ones I recall seem to be in or around end if Oct - Nov period..

Tox

Charley was in August 1986

Actually a previous incarnation of Debby (called Debbie) reached Ireland in 1961
    http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1961/DEBBIE/track.gif

more info on Debbie 1961
    http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1961/DEBBIE/track.dat

Debbie hit Ireland in the first week in September.

Out of having nothing to do I banged this together

The closest recorded location of tropical and extratropical storms to ireland over the last 45 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

One famous storm thats not there is the non tropical Fastnet rock storm which had a Violent storm 11 scale winds and was a powerful North Atlantic storm.Nothing really to do with above as they are ex named Hurricanes but this storm was much powerful than some mentioned above.

I was sticking to tropical storms with the map. also omitted is the December 1997 storm.

Oh yeah, there was a * on Isaac as it travelled up the coast and had an original speed of 60 kt winds when it passed Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Two questions, Billy,
    1. Why '* on Isaac'? I am missing something here.
    2. You included Faith Ophelia and Karl, but they are some distance away from Ireland. Did they at some stage pass over/near us? I could look this up but it is easier to ask!

Isaac has the * for the reasons stated in the post directly above yours

The others were included as they had an effect on our weather when they passed those positions.

Advertisement