Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hope of the States - Future in doubt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Really pissed off with the news, i suppose they wern't getting the recognition they deserved? or have they given any reason as to why they split?

I can only remember the lost riots gig in tbmc now, as you said above we wont get an official left one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Nothing confirmed for definite as of yet despite what Colin Murphy was desperately trying to get an exclusive out of. Looks like the lack of commercial success has been getting the better of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

'Left' was a big let-down anyway.

PiE wrote:
    'Left' was a big let-down anyway.

I dont agree, i think there are some great tracks on the left album, i dont think it was ever going to be as good as the lost riots for me, but it is a very good album in its own rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I could never get into them because i hated your mans voice.
    that said the black amnesias is brilliant. (mainly cause its instrumental!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

another great instrumental from them is Sts'ikel, it's available free on one of their fan sites, I'll post a link later, cant access it in work :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

Here's Sts'ikel from their fan site

*SNIP*

Also on the site I found this:
    Hope of the States have denied a claim that Carling Weekend would be the band's final shows.

Colin Murray said on BBC3's coverage that the band would split after their Reading show on Sunday.

But a source told PS: "Things are up in the air at the minute. But it's fair to say there's a lot of frustration at the moment." Their new single Left is set to miss out on the Top 50 this week.

Looks like they're still goin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Hope Of The States have confirmed after days of speculation that they have split up.

Following two astonishing performances at the weekend’s Carling Reading / Leeds Festival the band have announced they are splitting and would like to thank all their fans who have supported them over last few years.

Hope Of The States who recently released their second album ‘Left’, the follow-up to 2004’s critically-acclaimed ‘The Lost Riots’, are incredibly proud of everything they have achieved.

Hope Of The States comment…
    "We can walk away at this point as friends and be increasingly proud of what we have done. Thank you to everyone for all your support and the incredible times we have shared with our fans and supporters”

http://www.hopeofthestates.co.uk/site.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

indiewindy wrote:
    Hope Of The States have confirmed after days of speculation that they have split up.

Following two astonishing performances at the weekend’s Carling Reading / Leeds Festival the band have announced they are splitting and would like to thank all their fans who have supported them over last few years.

Hope Of The States who recently released their second album ‘Left’, the follow-up to 2004’s critically-acclaimed ‘The Lost Riots’, are incredibly proud of everything they have achieved.

Hope Of The States comment…
    "We can walk away at this point as friends and be increasingly proud of what we have done. Thank you to everyone for all your support and the incredible times we have shared with our fans and supporters”

http://www.hopeofthestates.co.uk/site.html
    Sad news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

posted on their forum
    Dear all,

As you have all heard hope of the states is no longer.
    Firstly I would like to apologise for the elapsed time between this information becoming public and any personal announcement to yourselves. However we had no idea that a passing comment between friends/associates etc would fly so far into the public domain so please, don't believe all ye read and give us a bit more credit.
    This time has also been spent pulling ourselves together, working out what to say, reassuring loved ones, dealing with legalities and other ignored items on the agenda, and generally fixing ouselves up to bade ye farewell. Sometimes life is more important than silly rawkanroll bands....not often but sometimes! And you all know that a cockrock stage announcement is not really our way!
    Secondly I want to thank you all for all yr support for the last few years. As you all know we have endured the proverbial rollercoaster since we started and for many of the most incredible moments of my life I have a lot of you to thank. We have always been so grateful, touched and honoured that people cared about our little band and many of yr recent messages have brought a fair few giggles, tears, screams and the odd shiver to me. To know that maybe we were one of "those" bands to someone, anyone, is genuinely the highest praise I could ever wish for. Thats why we started this band, and thats why we finished it. We walk away from this as friends and we walk away with dignity. When we are all old miserable granddads we can all tell our grandkids about that band we were in, with pride because we feel we did it right. We have nothing to be ashamed of and I wonder whether many bands can say the same thing.
    Finally, though I appreciate the lack of information encourages this sort of thing, wild accusations, assumptions, and conjecture help none of us. This message is inevitably (sic) incomplete/vague/a little random but it's what I have, it's the truth and I truly hope the spirit of it and the genuine attempt at an honest communique is clear and can maybe calm a little of the winternet nonsense. (ie I did not speak to anyone from BBC6 music on any topic whatsoever etc etc etc)
    Anyway, I hope we have left a little community in our troubled wake that can carry on together in whatever way ye all fancy. That's all anything we ever did was about.
    Take care and humble heartdepth thank yous

Sam
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

on their myspace:

I guess that many of you already know, but Hope Of The States have decided it is the right time for us to go our seperate ways. I guess that many of you would like to hear reasons behind our decision, and I guess people expect tales of infighting or external forces weighing heavy upon us...... unfortunately such drama has eluded us. I guess we just decided it was the right time- time for us to walk away with our heads held high and the fire still in our eyes.
    I would like to start by saying sorry that I have not been able to reply to any of your comments or answer any of your questions since this news accidentally leaked last weekend. We had never wanted our last shows to be thought of as such, we merely wanted to put our all into them as we had with every other thing we ever did. All of the songs we wrote and played will always have a special place within me, and I have to say that the thought of playing the songs for the very last time on Sunday brought many a sickly feeling to our stomachs and many tears to our eyes. We will always have the permanent marks on our arms as reminders of these very special times in our lives. I could list all of the amazing experiences I have had but there is not enough space to write them all. Most of all we leave behind two albums that we hope people will continue to love, and that other people will continue to discover.
    I would like to thank every single one of you that I have met, and very single person who supported us through the highest and lowest points of our lives. We have been through alot and I am glad that you people were there with us all the way- I will be forever grateful. Reading the comments left by all of you on these pages has left me dumbstruck... I am just so glad that what we worked so hard on and believed in so deeply has had such an effect on so many people. We really did create our own little community didn't we!

I bid you all farewell for now with a teary eye and a smile on my face....Thankyou one and all

Simon
    xxxxx

I'm sad to see them go, as they certainly were one of "those" bands for me. Annoyed that they skipped us on the Blood Meridian tour, cos i was too young to get into TBMC first time round. 45mins at a festival just wasnt enough.

This is in italics because the above quote was and i couldnt get it to change back, i tried all manner of jiggery pokery and nothing:mad:
    Mr Rivers wrote:
    Here's Sts'ikel from their fan site

*SNIP*

that link should be put back in, or at least replaced with the link to http://www.thehalfwayhome.com/

The band donated many of their hard to find songs Sts'ikel included to the site so its completely legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Garret wrote:
    that link should be put back in, or at least replaced with the link to http://www.thehalfwayhome.com/

The band donated many of their hard to find songs Sts'ikel included to the site so its completely legal.

I wasn't sure so I removed it just in case, couldn't find anything on that site to say that it was endorsed by the band. If it's fine with the band, link away.

John wrote:
    I wasn't sure so I removed it just in case, couldn't find anything on that site to say that it was endorsed by the band. If it's fine with the band, link away.

yeah i cant seem to see it either, but it was on the old site (the site had recently been upgraded). maybe they just havnt got it on the new one. It is true however - there even used to be an interactive picture puzzle where you had to find the songs.

Advertisement