Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I check my credit rating?

Options
  • 26-08-2006 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭

Recently I have been having problems getting loans/ overdrafts from my bank and it seems that I have a poor credit rating... Its funny though as I only ever missed one payment by direct debit and that was years ago.

How do I get my credit rating??? Or is this a top secret kinda thing that only the banks can see???

Also is a bank supposed to give you a reason for declining any application if asked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here is more info on the Irish Credit Bureau, it only costs E6 AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As above, afaik the bank should give you something in writing letting you know. Something along the lines of "No enough credit history" or whatever. Its always a good idea to get a credit report, go over it and make sure theres nothing in there thats incorrect (it does happen) as it could damage you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

take the advice given above
    u can also contact the regulator at www.ifsra.ie
    explore the site

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Ruu wrote:
    As above, afaik the bank should give you something in writing letting you know. Something along the lines of "No enough credit history" or whatever...

I was refused a BOI credit card card in 2004 maybe things have changed but then the refusal letter said something vague like we cannot divulge how our decision process operates (I then applied for an AIB card and got that, a visa is a visa regardless of bank so it didn't matter to me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

myhandle wrote:
    I was refused a BOI credit card card in 2004 maybe things have changed but then the refusal letter said something vague like we cannot divulge how our decision process operates (I then applied for an AIB card and got that, a visa is a visa regardless of bank so it didn't matter to me)

Not sure either why you were refused but accepted at AIB as you said a Visa is a Visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Not really on topic but in reply to another post.

BOI are iffy like that. Offered me a credit card but refused me a debit card so I just went and got one from AIB with no problems.

Advertisement