Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Atlantis - 3x07 - Common Ground [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 26-08-2006 12:21am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what did you think of this installment of the sole-renewed series in the Stargate franchise?

What Did You Think of Stargate: Atlantis - 3x07 - Common Ground? 27 votes

Amazing - Lived up to my expectations
    0%
    Good - A worthy sister show still
    37%
    Karl HungusIvanPugsleyMr EKevokCatsmokinpotUser45701OmegaRedcotwolddeman 10 votes
    Average - So I know I'll Forget It
    51%
    BKtjebkehoeGerardKeatingWintersVulturejor elixoythelordofcheesesenordingdongDingChavezSparkoAnCapaillMorKojakrobnubis 14 votes
    Poor - I'm worried...
    11%
    azezilis_that_soIompair 3 votes
    Awful - Why. Whhhhyyyyy.
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I want Shepperds leather jacket!

Anyways, great ep. Nice to see a new wraith character who we may see again. I new the ending after the second time he fed on shepperd.

Rodney was great! shows he is coming into his own milatery man and is all about not leaving a man behind. great to see him so gung ho and then the mouse part was great.

Good episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Yeah it was good. Good to see a Wraith with an actual personality....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pretty effective mix of the Genii plots and Wraith here. Sure I knew where the Wraith plot was heading but it at least shows a possible allly - of sorts. The Wraith have been so faceless that, Michael aside, we need something refreshing.

Oh and loved McKay's inspirational speech and Beckett's WTF reaction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

ixoy wrote:
    Oh and loved McKay's inspirational speech and Beckett's WTF reaction :)
    Best, scene, ever :)

Excellent episode (good week for stargate), putting a face and a voice to the wraith beyond 'feed, kill, feed, feed', also explained the wraith healing (as was in another thread), that they heal incredibly well during and shortly after a good feeding (remember during the Siege 3 parter the 2 hive ships were just after some fresh culling, so they would have been well fed, hence their healing). Quite a predictable episode overall, but excellently done, wasnt expecting their first raiding mission to be an astounding waste of time though, wasnt expecting that bit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Good Ep - Will that guy ever die though (kooliov),Com'on hanging to a character or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Twas a good episode, a lot better then last weeks anyway.

You could see from very early on that the Wraith and Sheppard were going to team up to escape. But the interesting was what we learned from the wraith. Their apility to well, feed and "un-feed" so to speak. I knew from early on that we were going to learn something new about them with the fact that Beckett saying that we still know very little about them.

But srsly, when is Kooliov going to die? Thats about 3 or 4 times now. And again the question still remains, can we trust the Genii at all? Even if some of them are good, they still have some serious problems with security/traiters etc.

Then again, its not like we can say a lot with Russia trying to take the Stargate and other SGC problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Great episode, its given me a lot of hope that atlantis will be able to stand alone after the bad news that sg - 1 is cancelled :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ah yes, a return to form for SG:A this week. The ending was pretty much predictable from the beginning but it's good to find out something new about the Wraith and to get to know one of them. Some of the things the Wraith said too go to explain why they do what they do, the hunger takes over and they have to feed in order to live. I think that maybe SG:A will eventually go down a route of finding an alternate food supply for the Wraith, rather than all out annihilation. In the meantime though, I'd expect plenty of big fights and hive-ships being blown up ;)

I'd like to see mention of the plan to lay stargates between the two galaxies though. I hope they don't do like last yer and have it suddenly, and conveniently, ready in some later episode without a single mention of it between now and then. They need to find stargates that they can take and use so I hope there'll be a few episodes based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Enjoyed that episode it gets a 4 from me as it had a story line that worked. My only gripe was with the way they treated a forign head of state, i don't care it the lost codes are his fault they treated him like S**t and he should have told them to go shove it. He shouldent be a leader if he has not got enough backbone to realise when to push back, he's a gimp and i hope he dies. (I predict he gets replaced or grows a pair) If they had of sent the gimp home kooliov would have know and then it's either kill shepard or let him go. Oh wait I suppose that would have killed the plot... never mind i enjoyed the episode and picking holes is ruining that enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Poor - I'm worried...
    As posted already it is good to see the Genii show up again. Untrustworthy bunch the lot of them. IMHO there is scope to drop them in every so often. Human baddies can often be far more credible (with the exception of the Trust/NID nonsense in SG-1), unencumbered by all that latex. I thought the storyline was a bit obvious but well done nonethless. Good Shepherd/Wraith juxtaposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Twas a great episode reley enjoyed both of them this week.
    ye u do know as soon as the wraith feeds a 2nd time that he will give life

still tho u gota wonder where this is going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

One major problem, they genii emptied at least 10 bullets into the wraith and he survived, yet when the atltantis crowd shoot them once they die. Besides that great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

One major problem, they genii emptied at least 10 bullets into the wraith and he survived, yet when the atltantis crowd shoot them once they die. Besides that great episode.

That's because he had been feeding.

And I'd be more worried about how they caught Sheppard at the start. So him and the rest of his team are impossible to hit with normal guns but a rope-gun thing can catch him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DingChavez wrote:
    And I'd be more worried about how they caught Sheppard at the start. So him and the rest of his team are impossible to hit with normal guns but a rope-gun thing can catch him?

But they were trying to capture some of the team, so most likley were shooting to stampeed them towards the "rope-gun thing".

i thought this epiosde made almost perfect sence and they also set us up for a "dark" epiosde in the future when the find colai again and inflict great pain on him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Kirk: KHAAAAAANN!!
    Sheppard: KOLYAAAAAAAA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Thought it was a great episode and saw the unfeeding thing coming but I was convinced the wraith would feed on kolya and use that strength to revive sheppard... poetic justice and that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

The wraith character really bugged me in that I was certain I recognised the acters voice from somewhere, but it turns out he isnt credited on the episode on IMDB :(

I was wondering what the wraith meant about "the gift of life is reserved only for our most loyal followers and our brothers". Does this mean that they sometimes give eternal youth to human servants and can use this same ability to restore life to sick/dead/dying wraith?

Another thing, as soon as I heard shepherd scream, I expected ronin & co. to come running through the bushes and gun down the wraith without a second thought.

In fact, why didnt Ronin kill the wraith the instant he saw him? For that matter, why was his laser gun type thingy not on kill from the start, on a mission like this?

For that matter, why dont they all have laser guns at this stage? :p

Very enjoyable, one of the better episodes so far this season...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Ivan wrote:
    The wraith character really bugged me in that I was certain I recognised the acters voice from somewhere, but it turns out he isnt credited on the episode on IMDB :(

The wraith was played by Christopher Heyerdahl, who coincidently played the role of Halling, one of the key Athosians and Teyla's right-hand man from Season 1. He's not credited but has that very distinctive voice.

HeyerdahlChristopher.jpg

cheers i knew i knew him from something sci-fi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Ivan wrote:
    I was wondering what the wraith meant about "the gift of life is reserved only for our most loyal followers and our brothers". Does this mean that they sometimes give eternal youth to human servants and can use this same ability to restore life to sick/dead/dying wraith?

I figure it's for those weirdos that worship the Wraith....they got a mention in season 2 and really should have been explored more.

So, this was a very good episode, even though the 'alliance' was a tad predictable.
    My problems with it were Ronin leading the team to rescue him. Why the hell does he take charge of the marines, even though he doesn't have a rank...he doesn't even have a ****ing uniform. It's ridiculous...as though the marines are going to take orders from him.
    McKay too...his stupid speech (which would have suited Ford nicely) aside, what the hell was he doing....he's a ****ing scientist.

Oh...and I also don't like this humanizing of the Wraith...of the Ancients couldn't defeat or humanize them, why the hell are these ****ers able to do it?!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

A pretty good episode - a major improvement on last week (Although that wouldn't be too difficult).

I don't know what it is but whenever I see that Koolya lad I am always reminded of the film Die Hard (especially since the mid-season 2-parter in Season 1).

A Wraith with a brain - something we haven't seen much of. The plot itself has been done before (i.e. enemies teaming up to escape prision) but I felt this was done very well. Rodney was class pretending to be the military man and then the mouse incident was just hilarious. :D

Koolya escaping leaves the door open for his re-appearance again. One thing though - the Geneii are supposed to be this big threat/dangerous enemy yet this is the first we have seen or heard from them in Season 3. I believe that they would have more to offer the overall storylines than the replicators (we've seen all this already in SG-1)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The Geni haven't been enemies since season 2.
    When they over threw Colm Meany, they apparently became friends.

Advertisement