Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outkast-Idlewild...

Options
  • 25-08-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

...is the ****.God Hip-Hop would be so much less interesting without this two along with Organised Noize.Best disc of music they have made after Aquamini,ATLiens and The Love Below.The interludes are pointless and Life Is A Musical is far too short but other then that its pretty brilliant.

Spearhead's latest and Goapele's debut are excellent albums as well btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Haven't heard the new Outkast album. Heard a clip of the first single and wasn't impressed. I'd have to listen to more of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Still of the opinion that Outkast are one of the most rotten embarrasing childish cheesiest groups around, and any crap they come out with is disguised as "innovative" and "unique". Big Boi is an alright lyricist, but Andre 3000 is an utter knob.

Fellow present Outkast detractors have told me their 1990s stuff is actually quite good, but I havent got broadband and so wont risk buying it till ive heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There early stuff is pretty hot, really, more straight hip-hop than the more recent stuff, if that makes any sense to ya?

Haven't heard the new album, but the single I heard was a bit of a mess i must say!!!

Will give it a bash once i get the chance (have any spare cash) Just picked up the new Roots album though. Only listened to 1st couple tracks so far and it all sounds pretty impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Its a solid 4 out of 5 album.Bit like Stankonia,some brilliant tracks with a bit too much filler and interludes.I liked Scar's vocals and the beat to Morris Brown but I know their new more flamboyant style isn't for everyone.Mighty O is more likely to impress people.Making opinions on Outkast when you haven't heard half of their discography is pretty retarded btw.

I hadn't a clue The Roots new album is out.But Spacecoyote get Goapele's new album before you get the Outkast album-i'm sure you will like it.

yeah was surprised when i saw roots album myself, was in HMV for 17.99 so can't go far wrong. Will check out Goapele when get the chance. Cheers.

• Advertisement

It just kills me a little inside when I have to pay 19 euro for a new cd.This friggin' country...:p

BTW Goapele was all over that Heiro album from 2003.Her newest got a great review in Hip-Hop connection.Nice mix of r'n'b and soul with a message,so its the kind of thing you would probably appreciate.Sa-Ra produce a few tracks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Fellow present Outkast detractors have told me their 1990s stuff is actually quite good, but I havent got broadband and so wont risk buying it till ive heard it.

They have a kind of greatest hits album called Big Boi and Dre Present...Outkast. I'd say you might pick it up for cheap enough if you're bothered. I'm not a big Outkast fan but this album is pretty decent imo. You could always exchange it if its rubbish anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Boi-Dre/dp/B00005RIJQ/sr=1-7/qid=1156895932/ref=sr_1_7/104-4347397-1051155?ie=UTF8&s=music

I wouldn't bother getting that Best of tbh.Its a pretty awful selection.Instean get ATLiens and Aquamini-no hip-hop collection is complete without them imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Orizio wrote:
    Making opinions on Outkast when you haven't heard half of their discography is pretty retarded btw.

Ill bet you havent ever listened to Chingys albums from beginning to end, but Id say you judge his music as sh1t? Same with Outkast- fact is that in the past 6 years they havent had a decent album cut- Hey Ya, The Whole World, Ghetto Music, I Like the Way You Move, all utter cheese. And Prototype is so embarrasingly, pathetically bad it doesnt even deserve to be called cheese. With a singles list like this its no wonder I wouldnt buy their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Idlewild is a great album. Admittadly there are too many skits, like most rap albums, but otherwise, it's great.

• Advertisement

I've never had/made an opinion on Chingy's albums or Chingy.The two singles I have heard had nice beats and not much else.Get the first three Outkast albums-Aquamini and ATLiens are seen as classics and their debut is highly underrated imo.

I am changing my opinion on Idlewild.Its ten tracks too long and a mess,just like Stankonia.Some excellent tracks but really very little thought seems to have gone into it.Maybe Big Boi and Andre's styles are going too far apart?

BTW that new Roots album got 4 and a half out of 5 in AMG.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The Roots album is album of the year in my opinion. Idlewild is meh, some nice tracks lots of crappy skits and some crap tracks. Nothing special.

So what about that Roots album?As good as Things Fall Apart?Any suprises production/guest wise?

BTW I overrated Idlewild people.Its on par with Stankonia as their weakest album.Big Boi pretty much upstages Andre thoughout,which is a suprise.Still 'Mighty O' is going to be one of their strongest singles since B.O.B.

Nope, not as good as Things Fall Apart but so much better than The Tipping Point and Phrenology. There's not a song on there I don't like and it's an album I listen to from start to finish each time. There's a darker sound to some of the tracks which suits Black Thought's rapping well. Lyrically he is on point throughout.

Production is nice. Questlove has it sounding less polished and more raw and the Dilla tracks are great. Malik B does some great work too.

No filler at all on this album, no skits or any nonsense like that, just music.

gotta agree with Oriz there, southernplayalistic is definitely an underrated album, and their 1st three albums are definitely worthy additions to anyones collection.

Yeah new roots album is one of the best i've heard in quite some time. Definitely a return to the old sound of the Roots (i did actually quite like the tipping point & most of phrenology anyway, but this does far surpass them both). Its nice to see Malik back on form alright & theres definitely a grittier & grimier(sp?) feeling to the beats and production. Its difficult to find fault in it i must say and as Mak said its an album you will listen to straight through.

Also if you haven't already donr so, pick up a copy of Organix (Roots debut album), its recently gotten a re-release on CD and has a very similar flavour to DYWM. Its pretty raw stuff but definitely worth pickin up

Yeah I'll be getting That Roots album tomorrow,presuming its somewhere in Cork city.The album cover looks nice if nothing else. ;) And I can't wait to hear more Dilla.

Both The Roots and Outkast debuts were overlooked and somewhat under rated because of their later stuff.Real shame,as I would put Southernplayalisticadilacmuzik up there with Outkast's best albums,same can be said for Organix.However I think DYWM is there most overlooked album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Orizio wrote:
    It just kills me a little inside when I have to pay 19 euro for a new cd.This friggin' country...:p

You should check out CDWOW then. Their albums are €11.99 each and they ship for free. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I ordered three albums on Monday (Outkast, The Roots & Method Man) and I am looking forward to listening to them although reading through this thread I have to admit that my excitment for Idlewild has dropped considerably :(

Method Man album is very good too. Far better than Tical 0 or whatever it was called.

Raekwon wrote:
    You should check out CDWOW then. Their albums are €11.99 each and they ship for free. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. I ordered three albums on Monday (Outkast, The Roots & Method Man) and I am looking forward to listening to them although reading through this thread I have to admit that my excitment for Idlewild has dropped considerably :(

Idlewild is a mess-but there is a dozen or so very good songs on.The Train is one of the best tracks I have heard all year.

I'll have to check out MM-I was a bit apprehensive about getting his newest because he can put out some serious rubbish.The Lauryn Hill track is pretty incredible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Makaveli wrote:
    Method Man album is very good too. Far better than Tical 0 or whatever it was called.

Yeah I have heard good things about his new album, 4:21: The Day After. His first album Tical was excellent but the two follow ups (Tical 2000: Judgement Day & Tical 0: The Prequel) were seriously below par. Maybe not his own fault though. He did complain to the media about his record label Def Jam interfering with his album's beats, they were trying to push him more mainstream while Meth wanted to use RZA's beats and make it darker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement