Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valve brands?

Options
  • 25-08-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm looking to do a full re-valve on my Laney GH100L.
    I'm putting EL34's into it,I was looking on watford valves and I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which brand to get for both pre-amp and power-amp? How much difference is there between them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RustinPeace

Anyone?
    Is there much differnece or is it mostly tone snob hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

There are distinct differences, but I haven't tried enough different brands to offer much of an opinion.

The Watford Harmas seem to me to have more clean headroom and a more open sound than JJs. The JJs seem to crunch more easily. They were both considerably better than the stock valves of a Korg AC30.

Ask the guys at Watford for a recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anyone?
    Is there much differnece or is it mostly tone snob hype?

Oh there is a huge difference. Then again, I'm a snob.

My recommendation goes with a set of JJs from www.eurotubes.com because Bob will match a set for you depending on what you want, so if you're after more gain, or more headroom, let him know. They're a good price aswell.

Advertisement