Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Society post apocalypse

Options
  • 24-08-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I've been reading a few books re the above. I've often wondered how society would turn out and if I was one of the survivors how would I cope. You would wonder would mini societys form, would wars break out between these societys, would people become tribal, would religion still exist, would democracy exist or would the stronger take control and dictatorships ensue etc.

What are your thoughts about this. How would you think you would react? How do you think the remains of society would react. Maybe a superflu like in The Stand or maybe some catastrophic event like meteorite affecting the weather and causing a HUGE population decrease.

I think I would find a house in the middle of nowhere and retreat. I probably would stockpile myself with guns and arms to protect myself etc and just keep away from all contact with humanity. I'd live somewhere near running water and would if there were any books left try and make up a solar electric panel to provide energy. Just a couple of thoughts for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the mindset of people may depend on the type of apocalypse to a certain extent (think nuclear war -v- environmental catastrophe), but almost certainly would people end up tribal. People would almost definitely form small, xenophobic groups, similar to modern african tribes. "Law" breaking within the tribes would be dealt with harshly, and a newcomer saying the wrong thing could easily find themselves dead instantly.

The very fact that you yourself mention "stockpile guns and arms" illustrates the image people have of society breaking down - everyone coming under attack from the less humane elements. I think this would be the most influential thought in the forming of post-apocalyptic groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 _patchouli

There would be a time factor in how people would react - a timeline, I mean.
    At first, I think people would bond together and co-operate. As time progressed natural leaders would emerge, allegiences, grievences etc.
    Like seamus said, it would also depend on the type of the disaster. Natural or manmade for instance?
    It would be a bit easier to respond if the question was more specific...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭punky

Deer, if you like reading books which predict post-apocalyptic futures, check out David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

I think the type of societies that would emerge from the rubble would greatly depend on how much is known about the past. We could easily enter another dark ages if energy/environmental problems aren't sorted this century. And there's always a meteorite or a nuclear war. Ah, isn't life wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Um Deer how are you planning on acquiring this stockpile of arms and food?

Do you not realise thats the first thing that will enter the heads of just about any rational human being? And any guns or food will be in high demand?

Do you know how to make a solar cell? Where would you procure the necessary raw materials even if you could do so?

I think your "plan" is hopelessly naive. Merely by looking at property prices at the moment I doubt you could even get your house.

There's a reason they're called survivalists, they know that in the event of a catalylism what they have and have horded will be in demand, and they're planning for the worst.

I suggest you watch in the time of the wolf for an accurate depication of middle class society in decay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement