Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isnt this thread under Sports?

Options
  • 23-08-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

As title,

I keep forgetting where this thread is located, out of curiousity why isnt it under sports?

Also only 4 months till my ski season!! woohooo plan on taking all my hoidays from the 2nd week in Jan to the 1st week in Feb :)

Hoping for 3 x 1 week holidays is it too early to get excited? and start booking?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I certainly hope it's not too early to get excited yet as I just went and bought some new snow blades a couple of weeks ago so I'm ready for the winter. I think it might be a bit early to be able to get my usual skiing buddies organised to book anything yet though seeing as we usually leave it until we can get a last minute bargain, but theres no harm in being prepared for a sudden trip away, only had 3 days notice before my first trip last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I mentioned it to my friends about going for new year this year and got the 'it's way too early to think about that' answer! So it looks like we'll be complaining come november when everywhere is booked out, just like last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I hear ya, trying to get people to commit is a major pain in the ass! Ive got 5 people signed up so far for this year but we are a little torn about where to go. One goup of us has been going to Andorra (Soldau) for the last 3 years so its a bit of tradition and everyone knows the area really well, which is both a good and bad thing. Alot of other people would like to try out some place new.

Have any of you got recommendations on places you've loved?

Essentially we are looking for good snow, lots of runs with a decent nightlife. All the usual things :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've been to Andorra myself for the last 3 years as well, could have been 4 but my memory is not what it used to be, and whilst it is a very good place to go with loads of good runs you do start to need a change after a while. I also went to Bulgaria as well this year which was no where near as well developed as a resort as Andorra and a lot less runs which were not as well marked. From the experience of those in the group that were taking lessons the ski/ board schools were not as well organised as those in Andorra either, but it was still good to go somewhere different for a change.

It did have very cheap beer though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

...I've skiied most of the cheap and cheerful places
    Soldeu, Arinsal, Sauze D'Oulx, Livigno, Soll.

If it has the snow Sauze D'Oulx is brilliant especially with the connections to Sestriere and San Sicario - night life is on a par with Soldeu. And the transfer is only 1 hour. I liked this place...but I have had friends go there and have to ski on grass!!!!!!!!

Soll: A little low down but again linked into a huge ski area - night life OK. Transfer only about 1.5 hours. Good option also.

Livigno: 5 hours transfer, but good skiing and good nightlife. Although doubt if the ski area as extensive as Grand Valeira (sp?).

Personally I'd hold out and if Sauze was available (and the snow was good) I'd try there......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Imo Soll is just like a mini Ireland/Britain! The skiing there is fantastic but the whole resort is virtually full of Irish, British and a few Dutch (with maybe the odd lost german thrown in). Apres ski is inot a bar with virtually no drinking down near or at the base of the mountain. For me apres ski is not done inside in a proper pub but rather outside or in one of those tent things. A lot of Austrians (that ski) have never heard of the whole area!

For austria i'd suggest Saalbach/Hinterglemm. It's got a good mix in terms of the crowds and loads of pistes. It's big on red runs but there are a few blues and of course enough blacks too.

Advertisement