Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in Law

Options
  • 23-08-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

hidiho neighbours! Im a recent graduate:confused: looking for advice. Ive just finished my law degree which I really enjoyed doing, but Im not sure that I want to go down the solicitor/barrister route just now.

I would love to hear, people's experiences of alternative careers in law in Ireland or abroad; have love, willing travel, just a bit confused at the moment. Any info on what its like to be a solictor/barrister in Ireland would be much appreciated also.

Cheers.xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Legal academic? You could always go back to university if you want ;)

I'm just beginning my law career so I don't know of any other potential legal jobs out there... maybe a consultancy firm (international law etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

If you're not sure you want to be lawyer by now then I doubt you ever will be. Law is a great primary degree to have that equips you with lots of valuable skills.

The potential career paths open are almost endless, things like accountancy, hr, business, banking, civil service, journalism, etc are just some. If you are unsure and are looking for a worthwhile course you could consider the dbs in smurfit. But, if you would like to get a better picture of what legal practice is like then you could get a job in a solicitors office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭focusing

Spend some time working for a firm of solicitors (most of them are happy to take on interns from time to time) and shadow a barrister for a week.

There's no substitute for trying these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 beefa

:) thanks guys will do. I have worked in a solicitors office before, so the barrister shadowing might be a good idea.

Advertisement