Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting half inch off irons?

Options
  • 22-08-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Through a mix-up by a friend who was getting me some Taylormade irons I've ended up with two sets - one are the r7 XD irons with plus half an inch, and these arrived first so I've started using them. Then the r7 CGB Max irons (which were my preferred model) arrived, but they have a full extra inch on them which is too long for me (6ft tall).

The CGBs are a better iron especially for novice players like me as they are very forgiving so I'd prefer to go with those if I can't sell them (have them on sale on adverts.ie). I've heard I could get a half inch cut off them so they'd be the right size for me.

My worry is I'd have to get new grips, and I like the TM ones on them, and the top of the shortened shaft would be narrower than the existing one. Would it be wise to cut & regrip them and what would this cost for a decent set of grips? I'd imagine cutting the grips off myself and using a hacksaw to trim the half inch off would reduce the cost a good bit - any risk in doing that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

LOL. Don't even try. You can ruin clubs very easily. If you really want them, take them to a pro. There can be other considerations other than just length.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

the pro will just refit the same grip, dont worry, get the half inch off and you can keep the same grips

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

err grip down an inch instead of the normal half inch?:confused:

Advertisement