Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitnicks Web site hacked

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Happends every hosting company at one time or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Poor Kevin.. he gets slated in the comments section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

The irony is not lost on me when i say this but he needs to think about his sites security.
    Then again odds are its an unknown exploit.

He does get slated but at least we got a good book and an ok movie out of him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

He needs to think about his site's security? Why? He has nothing to do with how his site is secured - he has given that power over to his hosting company. Perhaps he should chose another hosting company, one who has a good track record. Can you even find out if a hosting company has ever had a breach without asking them directly?

I don't see why he should be slagged over this, all he did was chose a hosting company and upload some html files - the rest was in their corner. It's not as if he failed to secure his own site.

I never thought much of Mitnick in terms of server security. He has good SE skills but that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

NutJob wrote:
    The irony is not lost on me when i say this but he needs to think about his sites security.
    Then again odds are its an unknown exploit.

He does get slated but at least we got a good book and an ok movie out of him :)

ok movie, which one was that ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Probably Wargames. Mitnick is alleged to have broken into NORAD systems, something which he denies I believe. The movie is based upon that as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Was it not TakeDown (or a similar name)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That was a book written by Shimomura. Was it made into a movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

WizZard wrote:
    Was it not TakeDown (or a similar name)?

Yeah I believe that was the name of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ecksor wrote:
    That was a book written by Shimomura. Was it made into a movie?
    I think so - I remember hearing about it in relation to Mitnick...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

The movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159784/
    Norad doesnt feature and Mitnic spent his time on the "Cell phone" network back in the analogue days. (though it was a factor in the solitry confinement rational)

And yes pulling it from the hosting company would count as
    thinking about site security.

Dont get me wrong i have great respect for Mitnick and he had enough of a hard time in prison.
    Plus his first book is still on my bookshelf never read the second one.

Advertisement