Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pallywood - Or how to fool the mainstream media and us.

Options
  • 21-08-2006 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Pallywood hi-res

How events reported as facts by news media are staged during the Palestianian/Isreali conflict.

The file is big but of good enough quality to appriciate the points being made.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what are you saying the guy doen't prove anything he is saying, he doesn't provide context for the riot, and never points out that the people are most probably being hit by rubber bullets, its woeful, he says alot more then he actually shows... and this was probably a daily occurance, so this is why there were all those people standing around...

I watched the general one first which makes the one about the boy stand a shakey ground

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I saw this a while back on Youtube and turned it off after 2mins.

Anyone remember when that 9yr old Palestinian kid was killed by an Israeli soldier when hiding behind a Buttress in a wall about 5yrs ago? That must have been really well staged:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well if you choose to belive the ambulence was'nt a set up thats your business.

Buffybot just cos Palestian kids are shot dead by IDF it does'nt mean there is'nt/was'nt a propaganda war being waged by BOTH sides. Turning off after two mins is hardly boosts crediblity on your part either.

Try this one for size and watch the cameramans reaction to a few tricky questions.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mike65 wrote:
    Well if you choose to belive the ambulence was'nt a set up thats your business.

Buffybot just cos Palestian kids are shot dead by IDF it does'nt mean there is'nt/was'nt a propaganda war being waged by BOTH sides. Turning off after two mins is hardly boosts crediblity on your part either.

Try this one for size and watch the cameramans reaction to a few tricky questions.

Mike.

he uses the same tricks that he accuses others of, short excerpts of films with no time or context... when I read about pallywood 6 months ago I never looked for the film, i thought it was somebody finding a complete setup, not a lot of confusion during a real riot, he says some guy pointing and shouting is a 'director' he goes way overboard on it, he completely contradicts himself by saying that he was most probably killed by palestian bullets and also that he wasn't killed? which was it?

and when I look around at this i stumble back to littlegreenfootballs who got famous because of the dan rather thing, which again wasn't proven false, he just managed to put an element of doubt that the networks jumped on...

The boy was'nt killed (if thats the incident you refer to) as far as anyone can tell, no body, no grieving relatives yelling at the cameras, no records of his being at the hospital (admitedly thats proberly not a suprise but if he was dead I suspect the Palestianians would have made sure the world saw his body).

I liked the "body" falling off the stretcher thingy twice and getting up and climbing back on (much to the shock of some people unconnected to the con).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Good find Mike, confirmation of whats well known that the Palestinians are no slouches when it comes to propaganda. They are winning the propaganda war. From the Palestinian perspective, if there was no Israeli oppression, it would be neccessary to invent it. As it is they inflate it. At this point, it seems self fufilling, because people uncritically accept reports of Israeli brutality on the basis of all the prior reports of Israeli brutality.
    I saw this a while back on Youtube and turned it off after 2mins.

None so blind as those who will not see...
    Anyone remember when that 9yr old Palestinian kid was killed by an Israeli soldier when hiding behind a Buttress in a wall about 5yrs ago? That must have been really well staged

As Mike points out, can you prove there actually was a murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Ah I see the Isrealis are not occupying Palestinian land or shooting palestinians it is all just made up
    in fact next you will try and tell us the Isrealis dont even have an army they are palestinians dressed up as Israelis soldiers.

Its a war guess what there is propaganda on all sides

Thats so juvenile I wont bother responding!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Thats so juvenile I wont bother responding!

Mike.

Because you have no response all you have is Iraeli propaganda so there is Palestinian propaganda that changes nothing about the facts of the situation the Israelis are occuppying palestinian land and killing Palestinians
    Unless you are seriuosly trying to say that that is not happening what is your point.

Well tell us who made the film and who funded it

Pallywood is Isreali propaganda

This is whats juvenile
    Ah I see the Isrealis are not occupying Palestinian land or shooting palestinians it is all just made up in fact next you will try and tell us the Isrealis dont even have an army they are palestinians dressed up as Israelis soldiers.

No-one, repeat after me, no-one is suggesting anything of the above, the Israelis have occupied the er Occupied Territories since 1967 and yes they so have an army and yes they are still on occassion shooting people.

None of that is in question or even relevant to the articles above.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    This is whats juvenile

No-one, repeat after me, no-one is suggesting anything of the above, the Israelis have occupied the er Occupied Territories since 1967 and yes they so have an army and yes they are still on occassion shooting people.

None of that is in question or even relevant to the articles above.

Mike.

Yes it is because you are using the above to extrapolate that the Israelis are OK and that the Palestinians are just making this stuff up.

It is a war Propaganda is part of war the Israelis the Americans the British the IRA the UVF do it and Holy **** so do the Palestinians.

And why is the er Occuppied Territories and it is not on Occassion it is regularly shoot people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Because the IDF and the Israeli government have never staged a photo op or engaged in any form of postive of negative propaganda?

Come on....describing this as disguisting Hezaballoh behaviour and how dare they, as if Israeli or it's security forces have never ever whatsoever engaged in any kind of postive or negative propaganda, have never for example tried to put spin on blowing up dozens of children.

This is of course another piece of propaganda, rather than try and justify or explain Israeli behaviour, the targeting of civilian infrasctruture, the targeting of civilans, the use of cluster bombs, the staggering death toil amoung Lebannonse civilians. Instead try and pretend one instance was staged.

Is the child critically injured? Yes. Did Hezzabollah try to milk it? Yes. Does that make the Israeli indiscriminate attack acceptable? No.

This is of course another piece of propaganda, rather than try and justify or explain Israeli behaviour, the targeting of civilian infrasctruture, the targeting of civilans, the use of cluster bombs, the staggering death toil amoung Lebannonse civilians. Instead try and pretend one instance was staged.

How many of those Israeli crimes you note above were staged or exaggerated for Western and Arab consumption though? We are to accept uncritically reports of Israeli brutality on the basis of all the prior reports of Israeli brutality that we accepted uncritically?

I remember the "murder" of that little kid by the IDF, his father desperately shielding him. There was I recall, a 30 page long thread in Politics citing it as the ultimate evidence of IDF inhumanity. Practically every paper and media source in the western world carried it as frontline news. It became the iconic image of the new resistance to Israel. I read a letter from one man who had volunteered to join the IDF in the 50s on the basis of his sympathy with the the survivors of the holocaust, describing how he wept and tore up his letter from the Israeli embassy in rage on having seen the events.

And now its quite clear that the event was staged - there is no hail of bullets hitting the boys positing from the Israeli side, he lies on the ground, but occasionally peeks out to see whats going on, theres no blood where he lay, only where his father was. There are no bullets recovered, and the camera man is caught baldly lying that first the police had taken them, and then that he had taken them.

Based on the evidence available it was staged. In fact, as Mikes links note, theres an entire industry developing around providing staged reports of Israeli brutality against innocent Palestinians for western consumption. The actual invention of stories, a whole level of magnitude above mere exaggeration or spin.
    Is the child critically injured? Yes.

Was he? Didnt look that way to me. No blood, no bullets, not clutching his stomach, lying on the ground peeking about the place whilst others stood unconcerned in the open, directly in the line of fire which he was supposed to have been killed by.
    Because the IDF and the Israeli government have never staged a photo op or engaged in any form of postive of negative propaganda?

No doubt theyve tried, but theyre not very good at it. I mean leaflet drops? Text messaging people in Lebanon?

Is it rather, western media tends to accept uncritically the reports that are delivered to them from Palestinian/Arab sources but Israel is consistently disbelieved by default? After all Reuters published photos of devastation in Lebanon resulting from Israeli actions, until online bloggers pointed out the photos had been photoshopped. The Lebanese photographer has been let go by Reuters, but has been supplying photos to Reuters for 10 years.

And going by that standard set by Orla Guerins reports for the BBC from Bin Jbeil where it was exposed that she massaged the story to better suit her own views, it may be difficult to expect objective fact checking of news before it is portrayed as the truth on our screens. I am however quite sure, they will not allow their political sympathies prevent them from treating Israeli propaganda efforts with appropriate disbelief.

Look at the clip in the first video where the IDF soldier is arguing with what looks like a Palestinian doctor and a Medical NGO team. Hes telling them hell authorise them to bring whatever they need to a nearby village, but they cant bring weapons. How will that get reported to us? "IDF prevents medical care to dying Palestinian women and children" most likely.

The real fear, and it should be shared by everyone regardless of sympathies, is that we make judgements based on the evidence available to us. The media supplies the vast majority of our evidence. If we cant trust the media to be honest, accurate and truthful, can we trust our own judgements?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is already being discussed in other threads. Do we need another?

The answer is the same as before.
    Is the child critically injured? Yes. Did Hezzabollah try to milk it? Yes. Does that make the Israeli indiscriminate attack acceptable? No.

Which is what the answer is. T

he problem is if you start trying to say mainstream media is lying or being terrrible (eg. boy at bomb photo) it is easier to dismiss something when something else is reported. Thats what is wanted here.

If you want to see all the proproganda going on the Psyops sites are the best for it. It is pretty impartial (covers both sides) which is what you should be pointing to, rather then trying to demonize one side over the other.

http://www.psywar.org/israellebanon.php

The answer is the same as before.

Quote:

Which is what the answer is.

Is the child critically injured? No, theres no evidence that he is.

Did Hezzabollah try to milk it? Possibly but Hamas would have been the more direct benificiaries given it happened in Palestine.

Does that make the Israeli indiscriminate attack acceptable? What indiscriminate Israeli attack?

The issue remains that a story has been staged with a narrative provided and its swallowed hook line and sinker by media who relay it to us as the truth. We then draw conclusions that are undermined by them not being based on accurate information.

To then point out that an iconic image like the "murder" of that boy is actually at the very most unproven and most likely completely staged is then regarded as being propaganda? Okay then.

To widen this out a little, how does willingness by western media outlets to use unverified edited packages reflect on them? As stations look to cut costs from expensive departments such as news gathering are we all open to greater flows of misinformation?

Mike.

Advertisement