Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poping light bulbs

Options
  • 21-08-2006 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

mods please move this thread if its in wrong place, i was just reading the thread sparkles in the air, i have had an odd thing happening to me for last few years, walk into a room switch on light, bulb dies i have lived in 4 different houses in 2 countries and it happens regulary, i was overseas last year for nearly 7 months i popped 23 bulbs in my rooms, it has never been that bad before or since, and it only happens with the non enery saver bulbs.
    in the begining i thought it was cheap bulbs bad electrics got it all checked it was fine. i spoke to the present owner of my first house and all original bulbs. its me thats causing it. has anyone heard of this and if so what is causing it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Don't know about popping light bulbs, but years ago there was a phase when street lights would* switch themselves off as I approached and then switch back on after I went.

It ended and now they are normal, some even switch on when I approach.

I wouldn't really worry about it too much. But I'd get energy saving bulbs going by what you said. Add a bit of practicality to the question.

Or else you could always get some excorcise - apologies for bad pun :D Seriously I'd try chilling out,if you are affecting the lights then getting het up about it is only going to make it worse IMO.

* well that's what it seemed like to me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

dfaf wrote:
    mods please move this thread if its in wrong place, i was just reading the thread sparkles in the air, i have had an odd thing happening to me for last few years, walk into a room switch on light, bulb dies i have lived in 4 different houses in 2 countries and it happens regulary, i was overseas last year for nearly 7 months i popped 23 bulbs in my rooms, it has never been that bad before or since, and it only happens with the non enery saver bulbs.
    in the begining i thought it was cheap bulbs bad electrics got it all checked it was fine. i spoke to the present owner of my first house and all original bulbs. its me thats causing it. has anyone heard of this and if so what is causing it

Huh, thats kinda cool. Well, from my point of view, I suppose its not that great for you.

Why did you post in spirituality? I'd propose that it has something to do with your own bio-electrics/electro magnetic field, what do you suppose it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Zillah wrote:
    Huh, thats kinda cool. Well, from my point of view, I suppose its not that great for you.

Why did you post in spirituality? I'd propose that it has something to do with your own bio-electrics/electro magnetic field, what do you suppose it is?
    i posted here case it has only started since i actively got involved in spiituality/druidism. i thought it be a kind of side effect. it seems to happen most when im under pressure/afraid/stressed or very happy. cool??
    pain in the arse more like cause you only turn on a light when u need it:D
    the bulbs popping has never upset me just p**sed me of at the incovenience of it. the enery saving bulbs dont seem to be effected. the last time it happen to me was in arrivals at the airport. i went to the toliet and just as i went in the door pop goes the bulb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭mysteria

dfaf wrote:
    i posted here case it has only started since i actively got involved in spiituality/druidism. i thought it be a kind of side effect. it seems to happen most when im under pressure/afraid/stressed or very happy. cool??
    pain in the arse more like cause you only turn on a light when u need it:D
    the bulbs popping has never upset me just p**sed me of at the incovenience of it. the enery saving bulbs dont seem to be effected. the last time it happen to me was in arrivals at the airport. i went to the toliet and just as i went in the door pop goes the bulb

Hi there dfaf, I believe you are right in connecting the experiences you describe with your involvement in Spirituality. I can help you with some advice if you'd like to pm me. It has to do with a surge of "Kundalini" Energy which does affect your electromagnetic field. Blessed Be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've wondered about this myself in the past. I remember one particularly bad day I was having, I started getting all kinds of weird computer errors that made no sense (and I've done enough IT and software dev work that I can usually figure any error out), the alternater blew in my car as did a light bulb, and three seperate light bulbs blew in the house. It could have all been coincidence or maybe not, there's no way to know either way, but it did all feel connected to the fact that I was in a really bad mood all day and felt like exploding myself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

stevenmu wrote:
    I've wondered about this myself in the past. I remember one particularly bad day I was having, I started getting all kinds of weird computer errors that made no sense (and I've done enough IT and software dev work that I can usually figure any error out), the alternater blew in my car as did a light bulb, and three seperate light bulbs blew in the house. It could have all been coincidence or maybe not, there's no way to know either way, but it did all feel connected to the fact that I was in a really bad mood all day and felt like exploding myself :)
    its a relief to hear its not just happening to me. for a while i thought i had something from some other plane following me and causing it, i had mentioned it to some friends and i got some very strange looks. it haapened on two seperate ocassions when iwas leaving the house with afriend. again strange looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Aisling& M has started a similar thread to this over on the paranormal forum. This happens a lot in our house. It's usually when I switch on the light but occasionally it happens to my husband. Even an energy saver bulb went one day when I switched it on. We even asked an electrician about it but he could see nothing wrong. Strangely it all stopped about 6-7 months ago, coinciding with me becoming more interested in the paranormal, spiritual, reiki, meditation etc. But... 3 bulbs have popped in the last 2 days. Maybe it's just the natural lifecycle of the bulb... maybe it's something else. I don't know but it is weird when I have a day when 4 or 5 of them go!

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Article: Why do my light bulbs keep blowing?
    99% of the time tungsten fillamented bulbs have their own fuses built into the stem. these nearly always blow as the lamp fails, usually saving the main fuse. The reason stated, although possible , is not common. What usually occurs is at the point of the filament failing (usually at switch on), an expanding arc occurs, melting back the filament as it goes. The arc's ionised low impedance path allowing more current to flow, the remaining parts of filament soon devoured by the extra heat & current ,until , usually around 1 second later, the arc bridges both supply `arms`. THIS is when the fuse(s) in the stem of the bulb fuse.
    also
    Now, those living close to an Electricity Substation will receive a voltage
    higher than the nominal, so that those furthest away still have a proper
    supply.

So we can have:
    a. Reduce your 1000 hour lamp burning expectancy by 50% to 500hours.
    b. Maybe reduce your 500 hour lamp expectancy for your base down wall
    lights to 250 hours.

To complicate matters further, I have tried the "lifetime guarantee" light
    bulbs (recently with 10 year guarantee). Two blew at switch on!!
    Also suggested is problems with cheap bulbs. The more expensive ones are cheaper in the long run.

Personally, I would just go for energy saving florescent bulbs. These are less vulnerable to electrical or spiritual problems. Plus they save money and contribute less to global warming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 haightj01

can you help me please. my bulb in my bedroom shattered and sparks were goin everywhere. since then, the lights doesnt work at all.. due to this, my bathroom and hallway lights dont work now..
    can anyone help/
    could it be th circuit breaker or is that inpossible since my lights work in other rooms arond the home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Most likely a circuit breaker, lights are often split onto different circuits so there could be one circuit breaker for your bedroom, bathroom and halway, and a different one for other lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

sometimes when i go to the toilet nothing happens. Then i push really hard. As soon as the piece of **** drops the bulb blows. Every time! I think i must be god

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

FX Meister wrote: »
    sometimes when i go to the toilet nothing happens. Then i push really hard. As soon as the piece of **** drops the bulb blows. Every time! I think i must be god
    Sorry. You are not god. It is a secret safety device installed in the homes of people with excess gas, used to prevent any possible explosions.

haightj01, I think as well you ought to check your fuses and circuit. Sounds just like an ordinary electrical fault to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cripplehound

God, what bull****, pardon the pun, there is one God and it most certainly is not you sunshine!

Advertisement