Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rick - New York - New Baby

Options
  • 21-08-2006 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Think I asked this before lads!!

Brother is coming home from NY in 2 weeks for good - had him price some Ricks - Brand new 620 fro 1100 dollars! STEAL!!!!

Now if I want him to get it for me, or any guitar (doesn't have to be a ric) whats the story with him going through customs!!??? Or at least your best advice!!???

Cleared it with my expecting wife! Dunno if my new child (november due) will be real happy!!!

Thanks muchly
    Edja!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Edja wrote:
    Cleared it with my expecting wife!

The hardest part is done, man, don't worry about the customs! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I would strongly advise against anyone offering tips to evade paying tax here, Boards is in enough **** at the moment.

Edja, your brother can choose to declare this instrument or try to breeze through and hope for the best, but runs the risk of being taxed to the tune of 25% of their evaluation of the instrument if caught, excluding any penalties they may decide to include. His and your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

And you don't want the customs boys doing an evaluation, so make sure your bro has the receipt with him, whatever he decides to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Perish the thought of anyone offering tips to avoid VAT and duty.....
    .... but surely if the bro is moving back to Ireland he'll be bringing a whole ton of his personal stuff with him - ie computers, stereos, sex toys etc ? If so I dont see him paying VAT and duty on that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    In that case I dont see how it would matter if he threw a guit-fiddle in amongst all the other stuff?

Ancient 1's first piece of advice rocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

The fact that he's a US resident means you shouldnt have any problems. Get him to buy it. Take off any tags. He just brings it with him and says it is his own guitar and he's doing a gig or something over here. Thats it really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

get him to ask for a slightly older looking rick case,one with a few scuffs,bit o' dust on it if they have one,
    a sparkly new flightcase is gonna give the game away!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Edja

Thanks Lads! Well, he's not a resident. He was on a 3 month contract! But he will have a load of stuff to bring home!

Dr. J, forever the voice of reason! Risky business! Could be as well off to declare it, but do you pay tax at 21% of the US price, or Irish price????? If its the Irish price, screw that!!

I think I'll get it though, get the bro to get them to put it in the hardcase and wrap it up real well in duct tape, tear it all off to put some marks on it, and wrap it again!!!! Hopefully it will be fine in the hold!

They've got 1 midnight blue rickenbacker 620 in stock for 1100 dollars (880eur) and a couple of rickenbacker 360s in stock for 1335 dollars (1065eur). What prices! A 360 here starts at 2 grand in Musician Inc. Och, decisions decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just make sure to get a decent flight case :)

Advertisement