Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuts - driving me nuts!

Options
  • 21-08-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

My geetar came with one of those rare nuts with slots too tight to accomodate even 10s.

I bought some nut slotting tools from this dude, and they worked quite well, but before I got the order, I went barbarian on the deep E slot. It's an uneven cut and I wanted to fix it with the new set of files but I ended up cutting too deep. Now the low E is too low and too muddy and not even raising it at the saddle can get rid of the nastiness.

I'm going to replace it with the Tusq nut but then these eNut yokes caught my eye...

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Get a plain old bone nut... twas good enough for Stevie Ray and Jimi so you better believe it's good enough for you :D

I put one of those fancy graphite nuts on the Schecter a while back, but it allows vibrations to pass behind the nut with the result that any time I'd play open E there would be an annoying overtime as if you strummed behind the nut. Bunch of arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Bone can have inconsistent density though and I hear it can be a pain to file properly...

Graphite can apparently muffle the highs but I haven't heard of any problems with Tusq.

What a goddamn headache...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm no expert (as you may have noticed :D ) but per my reading of the fenderforum its apparently quite easy and effective to build up a too deep nut slot with a mixture of baking soda and superglue.

PS I've never done it myself. :rolleyes:

Obviously being the fenderforum there's a lot of debate about whether you need vintage baking soda or not..... :D

EDIT: link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Baking soda??

Thanks for further complicating my life, Johnny. :p

I will try raising it with superglue though...could just work.

Advertisement