Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Shift

Options
  • 20-08-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Ok we all saw The day after Tomorrow.
    As this film is based on scientific anayalsis of the converor(gulf stream,North Atlantic drift) etc.
    The film is hollywood and was exaggerated altogether.
    But there is evidence of the conveyor slowing down due to the introduction of fresh water from glacier and ice cap melting.
    As for salt water sinks as it is more dense than fresh water,if throughout the North Atlantic was totaly overtaken by fresh water,the conveyor would shut down.Well that means the Climate for Europe would become more Tundra like or lead to another ice age.
    Reason behind this is Global warming would lead to cooling especially in Europe.Makes sense.
    Now there is a prediction between 20 to 100 years for this to happen,the conveyor shut down theory but will it have an immediate affect straight away or over centuries to come.
    What you think.
    Discuss.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Snowbie wrote:
    Ok we all saw The day after Tomorrow.
    As this film is based on scientific anayalsis of the converor(gulf stream,North Atlantic drift) etc.
    The film is hollywood and was exaggerated altogether.
    But there is evidence of the conveyor slowing down due to the introduction of fresh water from glacier and ice cap melting.
    As for salt water sinks as it is more dense than fresh water,if throughout the North Atlantic was totaly overtaken by fresh water,the conveyor would shut down.Well that means the Climate for Europe would become more Tundra like or lead to another ice age.
    Reason behind this is Global warming would lead to cooling especially in Europe.Makes sense.
    Now there is a prediction between 20 to 100 years for this to happen,the conveyor shut down theory but will it have an immediate affect straight away or over centuries to come.
    What you think.
    Discuss.

Hard to say. We have just come out of a period of milder then average Winters for the last decade with the welcome exception of last year. There was more continental influence last year. However these things are cyclical so I really dont have an opinion on this atm. The North Atlantic Drift (NAA) is alive and well, thats for sure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

The Northwest Passage around the north of Canada has been closed by ice this summer. Shows the real environment is much more complex than simplistic theory allows. As for that film, the science was utter fiction - the storyline was pretty awful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seasonal variation matters hugely, as does global warming.

What's it all mean in our little corner, imho fast GLOBAL warming could mean fast LOCAL cooling.
    Greenland melts, fresh water has a lower freezing point than salty water (thats why the corpo puts salt on the roads in winter) ..more solid Ice = colder winds reaching down here.

Greenland ice cap may be melting at triple speed

Glaciers heading for point of no return

I'm a firm beliver in Global Warming, but also believe we may have a few severe winters here sooner rather than later that just prove the theory, then Global Warming will overtake the fresh water effect and we heat/hot up very very fast.

The polititions will say the cold winters prove Global Warming is like the housing market here..we are a "special" case..but thats only going to be for a few years..the heat is inevitable and tbh I welcome it.

This winter could be interesting, sunspot minimum, its long been forcasted (see posts by me from me up to two years ago in here) to be a cold one,a cool autumn helps this too, lets see how it pans out.
    I don't think the Greenland melt has taken effect yet, but the signs are there imho, next three years will show it, winters from here on in imho get colder- I forecast average winter temps cooling down for about 3-5 years from here then from year 10 onwards its getting warmer all the time on average

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Advertisement