Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st Driving Licence application - questions

Options
  • 20-08-2006 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

About to apply for my 1st licence, few questions that arent clear from the form.

1. Im in Dublin and there is 1 motor tax head office and about 3 or 4 branches, none of which are near me. Does it matter which one I apply to via the post.?

2. Who do I make the cheque payable to? Dublin City Council ?

3. Given that until I receive my full licence I will neither have a provisional or a certificate of competancy, can I drive on the road, and whats the procedure if stopped by a garda.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I called into the motor tax office in person and they gave me a receipt to carry around while my licence was in the post.

If you're doing everything by post, your best bet would be to photocopy your licence and certificate before sending them off and carry those around with you. The gardaí will give you a week to bring your licence into the station if you're stopped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

About to apply for my 1st licence, few questions that arent clear from the form.

1. Im in Dublin and there is 1 motor tax head office and about 3 or 4 branches, none of which are near me. Does it matter which one I apply to via the post.?

2. Who do I make the cheque payable to? Dublin City Council ?

3. Given that until I receive my full licence I will neither have a provisional or a certificate of competancy, can I drive on the road, and whats the procedure if stopped by a garda.?

1. Probably be better to deal with the main one in Chancery Place but it shouldn't really matter. I think it is better to go to the office in person as post can be lost or go missing. A previous licence of mine was lost and I had to then apply for a replacement - lots of hassle. Turned up six months later! The licence will only be issued to you by post though even if you apply in person.

2. Yes.

3. You will get a detailed receipt which will be accepted by any Garda. My licence was due for renewal recently and ,as Stark stated, I also photocopied it as further reference. If I were you, I would also copy the certificate of competency and take note of it's number just in case.

Advertisement