Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severance

Options
  • 20-08-2006 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to this one? Looks like a nice balance between gore and comedy, very promising, have only seen one review which said it was average, but am still anticipating it greatly. Looks to be very violent, seems to be only 15 rated, but then again Land of the Dead and Final Destination 3 were 15A as well so when it comes to horror films I don't find such a rating as disappointing anymore as I used to. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't give much thought to certs anymore, as you said Land of the Dead and FD3 were both 15a (how Land wasn't 18's I will never know!).
    I'm looking forward to this alright. Although it's hard to tell from the trailer whether it's more of a horror or a comedy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

do 18 films exist any more? They are so rare, films need to make money.

I`ll check out the trailer for this one whem im home later.

Hard Candy was 18's, first I'd seen in the cinema in quite a while iirc. Don't think I've seen any since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just saw the trailer the other day but it's definitely on the list of one's to watch :) Yay, gore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Severance is actually 18 here in Ireland, so that can only be an addition to an already promising film :)

And it's funny about the lack of 18's films - but again, it doesn't really hold its relevance nowadays with the new censor. Loads of 16 and even 15A titles released in the last year would easily have made 18 certs prior to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Severance is looking good, but I have to admit that I thought the same about the last american horror-comedy I saw (Slither) was rather disappointing.

Back onto the discussion of 18s...Hard Candy didn't strike me as a film that needed to be an 18. I was quite impressed at the way certain scenes were anything but graphic and instead relied on *not* showing exactly what has happening to raise the tension, but this also meant it could've been a 15. Reckon it may have been more

I personally thought Slither, whilst lacking in some areas, was excellent - if Severance turns out in anyway comparable I'd be a happy man!

Again - regarding 18's - Hard Candy was classified as such more for the theme rather then content. Movies like Land of the Dead etc, whilst very violent, are not really anything other then incredible fantasy and this is reflected in the film censors ratings these days. Hard Candy however, whilst not graphic or overly explicit, deals with sensitive and disturbing subject matter.

Fysh wrote:
    Back onto the discussion of 18s...Hard Candy didn't strike me as a film that needed to be an 18. I was quite impressed at the way certain scenes were anything but graphic and instead relied on *not* showing exactly what has happening to raise the tension, but this also meant it could've been a 15. Reckon it may have been more
    I agree fully, it was the lack of visuals that made for uncomfortable viewing.
    looking at the guy's grimacing face as (he thinks) he's being castrated
    I also agree with Havok's point though, it's probably more to do with the subject matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Im liking the look of severance too. Just watched land of the dead and Hostel this week for the first time. Am amazed I didnt see Land of the dead before, Love romero.

Was the Wilderness actually released? Damn...

• Advertisement

Going to see this tonight - can't wait. Anyone else seen it yet? Majority of movies are reassuringly positive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

Saw it on monday. I would give it a 5/10. Forgettable! Doesn’t stand up to some of the great English horrors/comedys released recently. He should have concentrated on making a horror or a comedy. Cos he couldnt handle both, the horror was'nt horrific, and the jokes end with no pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

calliopeia wrote:
    Saw it on monday. I would give it a 5/10. Forgettable! Doesn’t stand up to some of the great English horrors/comedys released recently. He should have concentrated on making a horror or a comedy. Cos he couldnt handle both, the horror was'nt horrific, and the jokes end with no pay off.

Balls :(

My brief review

Have to disagree with you, calliopeia. Absolutely fantastic film that had me in stitches one second and grimacing the next, would go as far to say as best film of the year so far in terms of personal enjoyment and immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I got a great report from my very critical friend, im gonna go see it soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Saw it the other night thought it was fantastic. I dident know it was suposed to be a comedy as I dident really find much of it funny. Good concept and a horror with a slightly political slant made it a fresh movie despite it being another slasher. I liked th poke at corprate life as it can be a lot like that too, im there as it is, with out the mutlations and what not.

Advertisement