Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Santa Fe opinions please ???

Options
  • 19-08-2006 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Thnking of buying a Santa Fe in the next month or so. Looking at a 2004 2.0 diesel for around 26,000.

Seem to be a nice vehicle but I would appreciate any input good or bad.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i can only say that I was in one a few weeks ago, a 2004 diesel and was mightily impressed. I would love the new model myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Good or bad points please
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The diesel is a wee bit underpowered. the 116bhp is much better suited to the lighter Tucson. The 130bhp unit they fitted to the Tucson is a cracker and although the Tucson is smaller than the Santa Fe, it's a better package.
    There are a few problems, the keys sometimes drop the immobiliser code, so you have to get them re-programmed. release bearings on the clutches are tempremental too. Also with all Hyundais, the stereos are irresistable to thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

a guy who works down our yard has a '04 commercial and it recently p*ssed all it's oil out all over the yard. okay, it was 2yrs old, 30k miles and had never been serviced!!!!!!!
    i actually like them though. though they really do have puny engines. can you chip them???

The 2.0 petrol is even worse. the Santa Fe is just too heavy for the engine but the new Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI is a cracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

all those problems that are mentioned are minor with their 5 yr warranty...I don't like the old shape but love the new one in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,143 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lex Luthor wrote:
    all those problems that are mentioned are minor with their 5 yr warranty...I don't like the old shape but love the new one in black.

Are they offering a 5 year warranty here in Ireland? I know they do in the UK alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I drive a lot of different cars in my job. Perhaps 20 cars a week. We had a Santa Fé in recently, and it scared the crap out of me. I've never been in a vehicle as poorly designed. It rolls more than a ferry crossing in high seas, and the brakes are non existent. And I mean non existent - I had to literally stamp the anchors hard to have any effect, and as I did, the front wallowed up and down like a pogo stick. Add to this, the poorly designed interior (The centre console is about 15% of the width of the dash, and looks ridiculous with all the buttons squeezed into such a small place) and you've got one hell of a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They only offer 3 years warranty in Ireland.

ned78 wrote:
    I drive a lot of different cars in my job. Perhaps 20 cars a week. We had a Santa Fé in recently, and it scared the crap out of me. I've never been in a vehicle as poorly designed. It rolls more than a ferry crossing in high seas, and the brakes are non existent. And I mean non existent - I had to literally stamp the anchors hard to have any effect, and as I did, the front wallowed up and down like a pogo stick. Add to this, the poorly designed interior (The centre console is about 15% of the width of the dash, and looks ridiculous with all the buttons squeezed into such a small place) and you've got one hell of a waste of money.

Never found the brakes or handling any worse than its rivals.

• Advertisement

Then drive a few ;-) It pales into insignificance next to the likes of the Freelander (The new one), and the Ssanyong Kyron (Much as I loathe Ssanyong). It's just a badly designed car.

The old Santa Fe is around for years, and compared with anything else from that age, there's nothing unusual or substandard about it.

Also the new Santa Fe is a far better machine than the Kyron.

Not to get into a shouting match, it is substandard. It is a very ordinary car. If I was to spend 30k+ on a car, I would want it to set the world alight, not scare the crap out of me when I want it to stop.

Any SUV isn't going to be great to drive compared to a saloon car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Macker1 wrote:
    be large enough for a large family of 2 adults & 4 children.

The Santa Fe has only seatbelts for five!

Buying one would be what they term in the States "reckless endangerment"

invest4deepvalue.com

colm_mcm wrote:
    Any SUV isn't going to be great to drive compared to a saloon car.

Ever driven an X3?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ned78 wrote:
    Ever driven an X3?

A 3 series saloon will be a better drive. An SUV will always be compromised on-road by its higher centre of gravity compared to a car.

Anan1 wrote:
    A 3 series saloon will be a better drive. An SUV will always be compromised on-road by its higher centre of gravity compared to a car.

I've driven both a 3 Series extensively, and an X3 Sport, and the Sport drives every bit as well as a standard 318i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

be aware that with the new model out now the old ones will loose a lot of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ned78 wrote:
    I've driven both a 3 Series extensively, and an X3 Sport, and the Sport drives every bit as well as a standard 318i.

You're not comparing like with like. The point colm & myself are making is that an SUV's handling will be compromised on-road by its higher centre of gravity compared to a car. It's simple physics. Have you never wondered why F1 cars are so low?

• Advertisement
Advertisement