Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Atlantis - 3x06 - The Real World [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 19-08-2006 1:03pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What did you all think of this one then folksies?

What Did You Think of Stargate: Atlantis - 3x06 - The Real World? 26 votes

At last Atlantis is at an Amazing Instance
    0%
    Good - A worthy sister show still
    3%
    Lantis 1 vote
    Average - So I know I'll Forget It
    23%
    PugsleyMr EGerardKeatingSuaimhneachsenordingdongGone West 6 votes
    Poor - Defintetely worried about this show
    34%
    bkehoeMountjoy MuggerUser45701thelordofcheeseDingChavezkdouglasis_that_soIompairdeman 9 votes
    Awful - Please stop the show!!
    38%
    HobbesdeRangedNietzscheanIvanJohnKixoybada_bingDemoniKAnCapaillMorKojak 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Awful. Pure ****e does does express how bad I thought this episode was. Very lazy writing and a bad rehash of whats been done before in both SG1 and Atlantis episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Venom wrote:
    Awful. Pure ****e does does express how bad I thought this episode was. Very lazy writing and a bad rehash of whats been done before in both SG1 and Atlantis episodes.

In complete agreement would also like to add similar plots used in Buffy, farscape, andromeda, first wave, any tv series over 2 years old and they were all executed better than this tripe. Worst episode ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Why did they waste RDA on this crap?

They also did this same story in TNG with Riker and all the above mentioned shows. Nearly being a complete replica of the Buffy one.

And apparently crazy people in Stargate always see an event horizon in the doorway/closet.

And how many times did we see the same scene of her getting mad and being sedated? Or her seeing weird crap in her room...do these things have to be shown more than once?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Poor Ep, So bad im stopping typing now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

U all said it

i was very dissapointed because tv.com is blocked in my work and so is gateworld and sg1archive so i have to go to random sites to get a little bit of info on the next episode and the site i went to had this listed a 2nd part to last weeks episode so i was hoping for allot more from it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Good - A worthy sister show still
    I thought it was brilliant, one of the best so far.

Different viewpoints on what's a good episode, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I though it was crap to be perfectly honest. It was the closest I've every come to walking away without watching the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well the poll choices don't really work for me, since I thought it was a really really poor episode, but the Season's been good in general so I'm still looking forward to next week.

The worst thing though is that they completely wasted RDA on it. Considering they have him for a limited amount of episodes, he should at least be playing his real character when he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I fastforwarded through it all, looked bad, I just don't like weir and an entire episode of her was the last thing i wanted to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

steviec wrote:
    Well the poll choices don't really work for me, since I thought it was a really really poor episode, but the Season's been good in general so I'm still looking forward to next week.

The worst thing though is that they completely wasted RDA on it. Considering they have him for a limited amount of episodes, he should at least be playing his real character when he's there.

Yeah, I put in Average because I liked all the eps so far but this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I thought it was good. Didnt like that it was actually somewhat scary in parts. I think that Atlantis and SG1 both not doing something overly sci-fi related in the same release wasnt the best idea. Neither of them were what I expected so that took away from each one overall.

I didnt like that they didnt let you in on what was *really* going on in the episode til near the end. Had I of known the story earlier I would have found it easier to watch, rather than just being scared and wondering what the catch was.

Use of the term scared quite lightly here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pretty poor episode and very obvious how it would pan out. Been done before too many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it... Not brilliant, but enjoyable enough.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bit sloppy, to be honest. I didn't like how Weir didn't even question the reality she found herself, didn't wonder if her mind was being altered. Yes, you could claim the nanites prevented her mind working as such but that seems fairly poor.

Also: wormhole through a door. Reminds me far too much of when that happened to Daniel Jackson in early SG1.

Not a huge Weir fan either, so that could hardly help me enjoy this and I really agree it was a waste of an RDA guest appearance (why did she contact him - why not Landry whom she has far greater contact with?!).

Very unmemorable, especially next to the laugh that I got out of "200".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

I fastforwarded through it all, looked bad, I just don't like weir and an entire episode of her was the last thing i wanted to see.
    Haha very true, probally the worst character in sga, and lots of her...

first stargate i've actually turned off before the end :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It was ok, at least Torri Higginson can act.
    And that guy from Ferris Buellers Day Off was in it. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Yeah, same here...

I managed to sit through the first 15 minutes or so and then I just skipped to the atlantis scenes and finally to the end...

Terrible episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In the first few seconds of this episode my thoughts were this better not be another "welcome to the real world and that other stuff was all a dream" style episode, but only seconds later I knew, it was. Still watched it but I really couldn't care less what happened in it. Obviously they're saving the budget for later episodes, but come on, this is just plain lazy. I spent most of the episode trying to remember all the other shows that have done this and I realised it was done better in most all of them. Quite possibly the worst episode of SG:A ever, but then I guess something has to be worst so it might as well be this one.

Oh well, at least 200 was a good laugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

jor el wrote:
    In the first few seconds of this episode my thoughts were this better not be another "welcome to the real world and that other stuff was all a dream" style episode, but only seconds later I knew, it was. Still watched it but I really couldn't care less what happened in it. Obviously they're saving the budget for later episodes, but come on, this is just plain lazy. I spent most of the episode trying to remember all the other shows that have done this and I realised it was done better in most all of them. Quite possibly the worst episode of SG:A ever, but then I guess something has to be worst so it might as well be this one.

Oh well, at least 200 was a good laugh.
    I do wish people would stop commenting on the quality, or lack thereof, of other episodes within these threads. Yes, they are both out at the same time and yes, most people who have seen this have seen the SG-1 episode, but not everybody!

When I went to comment on the SG-1 episode, '200' somebody was there to say how great it was, which was a good thing considering how crap the atlantis episode was...

I hope you can see where i'm coming from :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ivan wrote:
    I do wish people would stop commenting on the quality, or lack thereof, of other episodes within these threads. Yes, they are both out at the same time and yes, most people who have seen this have seen the SG-1 episode, but not everybody!

When I went to comment on the SG-1 episode, '200' somebody was there to say how great it was, which was a good thing considering how crap the atlantis episode was...

I can and I think it's kind of valid, especially with the fact that, with the next season, SG:A is going to be standing on its own. I'd hate to think that, as I've seen on other forums, people will now not watch SG:A if there's no SG:1 as a sister show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ivan wrote:
    I do, kind of, but I don't fully agree. It's not like I'm giving away the plot of the SG1 episode or discussing anything about it. I'd agree that people shouldn't comment about specifics in the other show but surely you could say whether you enjoyed it or not. I suppose even knowing whether other people enjoyed it or not is a bit of a spoiler, but with two shows linked so closely as these I think it's going to be hard to avoid. It's also easy to forget that not everyone has seen both of them.
    ixoy wrote:
    I'd hate to think that, as I've seen on other forums, people will now not watch SG:A if there's no SG:1 as a sister show.
    The thing with people not watching SGA when SG1 finishes is just daft, more the fool them. I guess some people just see Atlantis as an extension of SG1 and won't bother to watch it if the first part isn't there any more.

I think SGA has the potential to stand on it's own very well. There's enough going on in the Pegasus galaxy to keep the story fresh and interesting, but if they're going to re-hash tired old stories like this on on a regular basis then I fear it'll go the way of S9 of SG1. Overall SGA has been the better of the two shows for last year, and so far this year (except this week).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought this was very good, even though it was uneventful and ultimatly predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I'm not a fan of these "type" of episodes - they all nearly follow the same jaded pattern (It has been done before in DS9 and Buffy - its probably been done in many more) "Oh is this reality. How can I be sure etc. etc.

I know I am just repeating what has already been said here but RDA was totally wasted - it seemed like he was a totally different character to what we seen in 200.

Maybe next season when there is only one franchise (i.e. Atlantis) the episodes will get better as, at the moment, both shows are pulling from the same pool of resources and it is bound to have a negative effect on the quality of programming.

Advertisement