Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Child swung off of rear view mirror and pulled it off

Options
  • 18-08-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,

The title is self explanatory! This is a Ford Galaxy rear view mirror. I'm trying to put the ball (at the top of the arm stuck to the front window) into the socket within the rear view mirror itself. Hard to put into simple english :confused:

Anyhow, despite applying a lot of pressure when pushing the arm in, it simply won't click in and I'm afraid that I will break the mirror itself. There must be a technique used to get it in - if there is, could you let me know please? Your help would be very much appreciated.

Will

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its a ball fit the technique is push harder!

It might be worth adjusting the angle of attack as the ball may not actually be a perfect sphere but slightly flattened on one area which then "fits" into the socket. But that just a guess.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Use some lube? WD40 or similar?

Separate note: Never use superglue to fit a new mirror to a windscreen. It cracks the screen. Get a special glue from a motor factor.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Also put bit with ball on in freezer it should contract, use lube to assist don't get your tongue caught on it. oooer:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The advice of the other contributors is perfectly valid.

One other caveat however would be to restrain said child from yanking at parts of the cars (yours, household fixtures and necessities) in the first place.

Not meant in a patronising manner, I'm a dad meself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Along with other advice, adjusting the angle of attack, ball part in freezer and wd40, put socket part in warm water it might expand and/or soften slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭william

Hi again,

Got this sorted. There was a steel o-ring around the socket. I pulled this back onto the arm, pushed the ball in and then put the o-ring back.

Thanks for the advice. Now, as regards keeping the child under restraint..........

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Borrow an electric fence off a farmer for a few days. Run a wire around everything you do not want touched.

After a few days you can give the electric fence back, leave the wire.

Advertisement