Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some good rock songs to get me interested in guitar again!

• 18-08-2006 9:42pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I have barely played my guitar all summer and I really want to get back into it....

I have lots of scales and arpeggios that my teacher gave me, but they wont keep me interested:p

So, Can anyone recommend some good, challenging but not too challenging rock songs for a beginner/intermediate guitar player? :)

Interests:

Thin Lizzy
    Dire Straits
    Queen
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Metallica
    Mr Big
    Eagles
    GnR
    Trans siberian orchestra :) and all that classical / rock music...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

some of the stone roses stuff are easy to play, as is ACDCs stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

yeh man learn some ac/dc! its classic bluesy rock and its easy enoguh! if ur lookin 4 a challenge learn sweet chld o mine if ur into guns!
    thin lizzy: dancing in the moonlight, cold sweat and the rocker!

check out:http://www.freelicks.net/

they do a load of songs and video solos that can really help you improve! good luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Mr. Big - Addicted to that rush! It may sound hard but if you break it down its quite managable, you'll just need to practice it. Its such a fun song to play and more importantly you'll learn some great licks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

have a look around on google and other places and you might find a few great rock songs guaranteed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Anything KISS-like usually has a fairly easy rhythm part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Try some ZZ Top. Sounds easy but Billy Gibbons touch and phrasing are among the best I've heard and challenging to get right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

conzymaher wrote:
    Interests:
    Trans siberian orchestra :) and all that classical / rock music...

Try Jerry C's take on "Canon In Dmajor" - it's on YouTube, or Paganinis' Caprice.

*goes off to find links*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Duff_Man wrote:
    check out:http://www.freelicks.net/
    they do a load of songs and video solos that can really help you improve! good luck anyway!

Yeah, what he said ... I found this site a while ago, really helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

ThatGuy wrote:
    Try Jerry C's take on "Canon In Dmajor" - it's on YouTube, or Paganinis' Caprice.

*goes off to find links*

Trying it now, Amazing song!:)

Thanks for all the suggestions

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The Doors:

- Break on Thru
    - Love me 2 Times

Papa Roach:

- Cut my life into pieces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭icon

Try some bluesy stuff, Stevie Ray Vaughan's 'Texas Flood' and 'Soul to Soul', Rory Gallagher's album's 'Live in Europe' and 'Irish Tour', Try the Allman Brothers 'Eat a Peach' or 'Live at the Fillmore' Duane Allman and Dickey Betts are extremely inspiring guitarists. Try Gary Moore's best work 'After Hours'.
    And Free's album 'the free story' easy enough to play but very satisfing songs like 'I'm a mover' 'Mr Big' 'Fire & Water' and 'the hunter' are classic, Paul Kossof RIP from Free was amazing his bends and vibrato were simple but so powerful with no effects just a Les Paul into a Marshall. Buy some greatest hits by Steppenwolf (but forget born to be wild) they have so many great guitar songs. Also get Ramjam's greatest hits it's f**king great guitar album. Dio's the last in line and Holy Diver. And give Contraband by Velvet Revolver a blast too its a bloody good guitar album. You must buy 'Gimme back my Bullets' by Lynyrd's Skynrd. And don't think just buy Machine Head by 'Deep Purple!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 my harpers arms

a few great riffs that I like playing.

Muse - plug in baby
    Papa roach (as above)
    Thin lizzy - boys are back in town
    Daft punk - digital love. (get the tab off the internet. Its not that hard and sounds wicked with a thick distortion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 my harpers arms

Oh and audioslave - cochise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

If you like Trans siberian orchestra, then you owe it to yourself to listen to some Savatage stuff, Gutter Ballet and Streets perhaps :) (Dead winter dead is quite TSO too)

Advertisement