Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim Back Tax

Options
  • 18-08-2006 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I hope to God this is ok to post in After Hours...

I heard today that if you're living at home and giving your parents "house keeping" money that you can claim this back in your tax credits.

Is this true or a load of cods?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

stephen p wrote:
    I hope to God this is ok to post in After Hours...

I heard today that if you're living at home and giving your parents "house keeping" money that you can claim this back in your tax credits.

Is this true or a load of cods?

sounds like the revenue owe me a fortune then. I paid my Ma £2k a week for years. I have receipts too ........... :D

seriously, i suppose you could if they declared the income and paid tax on it but I doubt that has ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Sorry Ruu for posting in incorrect forum & thanks for moving it.
    Pal wrote:
    sounds like the revenue owe me a fortune then. I paid my Ma £2k a week for years. I have receipts too ........... :D

seriously, i suppose you could if they declared the income and paid tax on it but I doubt that has ever happened.

Yea I thought it was a bit strange, cos how can I prove I paid that money to my parents? I was going to ring the Revenue but thought I'd check around first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bagpuss

Unless you paid by standing order or some such then you have no proof of payment. I imagine your parents should be able to charge you under the Rent a Room Scheme. They can be paid 7620 per annum tax free but they would have to be registered for this and make tax returns. Tax credits on amounts paid to parents, in general, would be minimal!!

Also be aware that if parents are claiming social welfare, your claim may affect this. In any event Revenue will only go back 4 years maximum and I'm sure a case could be made that your payments are not rent...but contributions to household bills, such as ESB, food etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

bagpuss wrote:
    Unless you paid by standing order or some such then you have no proof of payment. I imagine your parents should be able to charge you under the Rent a Room Scheme. They can be paid 7620 per annum tax free but they would have to be registered for this and make tax returns. Tax credits on amounts paid to parents, in general, would be minimal!!

Also be aware that if parents are claiming social welfare, your claim may affect this. In any event Revenue will only go back 4 years maximum and I'm sure a case could be made that your payments are not rent...but contributions to household bills, such as ESB, food etc.

Also be aware that if parents are claiming social welfare, your claim may affect this
    well said bagpuss

My advice is, depending on their circumstances, dont draw either the revenue or the SW on your parents.
    {In passing, is the limit gone up to 10k}

• Advertisement
Advertisement