Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefit in Kind rate

Options
  • 18-08-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We have been offered a tracker type mortgage rate at work that tracks the BIK rate which is currently 3.50%. My concern is that this changes every year in the budget. Is there anywhere that I can see where this rate has been for the past few years? Obviously I would have to think twice if it was likely that this rate could jump significantly

Rgds
    Baz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the BIK rate only changes when the underlying rates move and historically it lags.

In addition it does not follow increases all the way up, for years before we got into the current low rate invironment it was set at 3%

search www.revenue.ie for history

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers

I presume when you say "follow increases" you mean interest rate increases? Given that there have been 1% in hikes since Dec, there is a good chance that the current 3.5% BIK rate will increase by up to 1%

Baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

TheBazman wrote:
    Cheers

I presume when you say "follow increases" you mean interest rate increases? Given that there have been 1% in hikes since Dec, there is a good chance that the current 3.5% BIK rate will increase by up to 1%

Baz
    Yes I meant interest rate increases

re it changing, i cant see on revenue.ie when the 3.5% came in but in 2004 it was 4.5% so maybe they now have the capacity and inclination to change it more frequently than heretofore, so u should assume that it will go up in line with market rates

Advertisement