Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BComm (Euro)

Options
  • 18-08-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hey I just got my results there and it looks like I'll be doing Commerce and Italian in UCC next year,I have my doubts though!!

I really enjoy the theory in Business like marketing etc but I hated the accounting side of it and I'm a bit worried about economics since I got a D2 in the LC (but I must admit I only studied the night before the exam as I did it externally).

I'm wondering do you have to keep up all the modules for the 4years or can you drop them and specialize and if so when?? I'm actually looking forward to the learning Italian part but I'm wondering if I'll be able for it because I might end up repeating instead.

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

I'm a soon to be Commerce w/ French final year student.

1st & 2nd year : Can't avoid economics, accounting and all that (I found them two pretty boring years but easy to get through)
    3rd year : Abroad. Some take it real seriously, a majority do nothing and get away with it.
    4th year : Pretty much total freedom to do what you want.

It's all very clearly explained here:
    http://www.ucc.ie/academic/calendar/commerce/com003.html

You are aware the Italian element is not just language but also the whole litterature side (like if you were taking it as part of an Arts degree). My Comm. and French class started at 24 in first year, we are now down to 12... mostly due to people thinking they were starting a commerce course with a small language element rather than a commerce and a language course.

If you're interested in the graduate first destination reports:
    http://www.ucc.ie/careers/fdr.php?isPostGraduate=0&facultyID=17&courseID=551&go=Go%21#s

When you're place is confirmed, the timetables might be handy:
    http://timetable.ucc.ie/0607/programme.htm

In any case, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Thanks very much I got 385 you see and I don't think I'd be able to keep up although I must admit a lack of study helped me get this!! But I should go up to 400 pending rechecks.

So you specialize which is great! I have one question, what is the maths like? I got a C3 in pass you see and almost MIS what actually is it?

Thanks once again! :)

I wouldn't really worry. Accounting, economics etc. is a whole lot different to anything at LC level.
    I have one question, what is the maths like?

* The 1st year Maths (MA1100) course is a bitch and sudents struggle. That said it's nothing a little bit of work (and going to tutorials) won't get you through.
    * 2nd year Stats. course isn't a particular problem.
    * The Maths element of the 1st and 2nd year economics courses is perfecly manageable.

Also there is plenty support. For example tutorials are offered for the Maths/Stats/Eco classes which are a huge help but of course no one bothers going to them (and those that do go are those that don't really need the help!)

Thanks I actually got offered Commerce and Spanish with 60points to spare!! I got a D2 in Economics though which is really worrying me! I'm awful at maths too honestly. I'm thinking of repeating a lot at the moment and maybe going for Primary Teaching instead. Thanks again I'll let you know my decision!

Congrats. on the offer and good luck with the decision!

• Advertisement

Thanks I decided I'm going to repeat, probably the best decision I'll make!! Thanks again for everything! :)

Enjoy that. I repeated too and I can't say it was the worst thing I've done!

Did you repeat in the College of Com? I had my interview for there and really banking on it or else I'm screwed for a place next year really!

Advertisement