Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service interval for VW Passat

Options
  • 17-08-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

What is the service intervals for a Passat?

02 130 hp -six speed.

Service History in the UK showns it was none very 10K. But since it came here pervious owner had it done very ~6k.

91k on the clock last service at 86k.

Timing belt was done at 71k, is this a bit late ?

TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

On my 04 A4 tdi it was serviced(Full Service) every 20k miles but every 10k miles the levels were topped up at uk dealers also.

On the timing belt issue it doesn't matter when it was done once it was done on time i.e it didn't snap.I think it's recommended on the tdi's that they are changed at 60k (well mine was)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Some VWs of that year have long life service intervals which can in some instances have intervals as far apart as 30,000 miles! It also depends on what oil you use. To maintain longlife service intervals you must use fully synthetic engine oil. The manual will tell you the spec of oil required.

To find out if your VW Passat has longlife service intervals check the inside cover of the service schedule where there is a large sticker which has the chassis number, paint code, engine code, etc. The bottom half of this sticker has a series of 3 digit codes. One of these codes will be QG0 or QG1. QG1 indicates longlife service. This sticker is also in the boot under the carpet in the spare wheel well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Topcat101

Just checked both wheel base and service log AUF is the last digits on it.

How can I find out correct Service interval ?

I've attached a sample sticker and circled the option code that indicates long life service.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If the car is long service interval it has a "special" oil very expensive at around 16 euro per litre. Some dealers are not using it either and i had to tell a local dealer to where i used to work about it.
    The technical dept of Mobil said you can use full synthetic as a substitute but to be safe change oil at 6k miles.
    It would probably be ok but no one would guarantee it the usual(and very real) fear of litigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

sundodger5 wrote:
    The technical dept of Mobil said you can use full synthetic as a substitute but to be safe change oil at 6k miles.

I though it was 10k if you were using "normal" (I assume semi-synth) oil.

maidhc wrote:
    I though it was 10k if you were using "normal" (I assume semi-synth) oil.
    Correct - changing semi synthetic oil at 6000 miles is simply a waste of money.

VW have standards for oil - the manual will tell you which one you need for the respective service intervals. (VW500.00, VW501.00, VW505.00, etc)

Castrol TXT is perfect for 10k intervals. But for long life intervals you should use Castrol SLX. As Sundodger5 says the long life oil is expensive - €60 for a refill is not unheard of. Long life servicing depends on the service interval display being reset correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Most of these long service engines usually "use" some oil. some up to 2 litres between services.
    Thats around half an oil change anyway.
    Makes you wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

sundodger5 wrote:
    Most of these long service engines usually "use" some oil. some up to 2 litres between services.
    Thats around half an oil change anyway.
    Makes you wonder.

My grandfathers one used about 2Ls in the first 20k. He topped it up with some "whatever your having youself" oil (I saw a suspect gallon of Castrol GTX). I got him to get it serviced when I heard that.

Its completely normal for VWs to use oil during the first 15,000 - 30,000kms. Usually this oil consumption settles down after the first service. The consumption is more noticeable in TDIs. VW will not entertain any claim for oil consumption until it exceeds 1 litre in 1,000kms. It can be expensive if you have to continually have to top up with expensive oil and validates the argument for reverting back to 15,000km servicing with semi- synth oil. I have to explain this at least once a week to customers with new VW/Audi cars.

@maidhc - just tell your grandfather to top it up with the correct grade oil and wait till the SID says it needs a service. But then again, if he's been topping up with some "whatever your having yourself" oil then he best get it serviced immediately - GTX in a modern VW engine is not really recommended. It was used way back in the MKII and had intervals of 7,500kms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement