Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car Wont Start - Advice??

Options
  • 17-08-2006 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Got into my car this morning and drove to work as always. I stopped the car to get out and open the gate and now it wont start again. The wipers and stuff are all working. Has anyone any idea what it could be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Need a bit more info. Does the starter motor turn over? If it does, is the engine making any attempt to fire? What sort of car is it? Petrol or diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Its petrol, and its not making any attempt to fire its just making a kind of a screeeching noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds like the starter motor may not be engaging properly. Have you attempted to push start it?

Thanks, I cant really because Im here on my own have to wait till the lads get back for their break they'll move it for me, is it a big job to get that fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sounds like your starter isn't engaging properly any more

In the old days the "cure" was to hit it with a hammer

Try pushing your car (in gear) for a foot or so( turn the ignition off!!), the different degree of turn on the engine might enable the starter to engage again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Could also be the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Give some details of the car that might help.

Make Model Yr mileage?

It could be the starter motor, ignition leads, blocked up air intake, excessive fuel in the pistons. Wire maybe loose either.

Thanks for the help guys, but I took it to the mechanic last night and its fixed. Cant remember what he said was wrong with it but it happened when i braked he said, nothing to do with the starter motor or the battery, I'm changing it anyway, its just not reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Hmm, would like to know what the solution was, because I would have said 100% either starter motor faulty or not enough power from the battery to turn the starter motor (and so maybe possible alternator issue).

I'm sorry but I'll ask my father later he'll know what he said it was only something small anyway apparently, sorry about my lack of knowledge when it comes to these things. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't suppose you're ever going to tell us what model of car it was - the question was asked several times and is highly relevant when asking for help plus it helps others if they have a similar problem.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    I don't suppose you're ever going to tell us what model of car it was - the question was asked several times and is highly relevant when asking for help plus it helps others if they have a similar problem.

ZEN

K :rolleyes: Keep your hair on its a Punto, I got sidetracked answering other questions, its alright tho its fixed, thanks everyone for their replies, but I'm still getting a new one its just not reliable.

Hi All,

Just to let ye know it was the Pulley Wheel that was gone, thanks for all the advice tho.

Advertisement