Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HalloweeN

Options
  • 17-08-2006 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to Rob Zombie's remake of the classic HalloweeN movie? Its hard to know how its gona work out but i think he's got a good idea going and i suppose we'll just have to wait and see...

http://www.halloweenmovies.com/h9_lobby.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't even know about this but now that I do it's defiantely something to look forward to, even if only for whats bound to be a grisly gorefest.

I never could stand any of the original Halloween movies either so I for one wouldn't have any expectations at least for it in the Original vs remake light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I don't know. I loved the original and to me it is the best slasher of all time. I'd like to see what he will do with it, but to be honest how can he better the original if it is a remake: more gore, scares, cgi's?
    I have a feeling it will be more gorey what with his track record. I remember reading an interview with the director of the Fog remake (Wainwright). The reason that film was PG/13 was for box office numbers. He said that if it was 18 he would be appealing to a more seasoned horror fan and they are harder to hook, he cited gore as a big appeal for this demographic. So he went with the lower rating for a higher catchment, I suppose little did he know you have to put a bit of effort into the film too.
    So I reckon a lot will be determined by the rating of this film, personally I think if its 18 = gorefest. Or will he succumb to the box office/money men and try and get a lower rating, focusing on cheap scares and less gore.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

true 18+ films are so rare these days pity.

Any one rember Halloween 3 with the dodgy smakrocks on the pumpkins. The Irish are comming, the irish are commin........ run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Season Of The Witch! What a film. I actually have a clip from it on my iPod; the part with the kid and his parents in the room and they use the kid as a demonstration to the main character. Hi-larious.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

its hard to know how this is going to work out for him, if he appreciates the original i dont think he will make it a "gorefest". R.Z. has a reputation to uphold from 1000 corpses and TDR but by the sounds of things he's gona put alot more effort into keeping this mild but good....i hope...

"I plan to focus on character, mood and terror." as he says himself... we dont want another "Hostel" now do we?

roll on october 2007....it will be the best movie to hit the big screen for halloween in a long time, lets just hope its not a complete let down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeffbi2006

I had no idea this was being made... so its a remake yeah of the first one and they are still doing number 9 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

jeffbi2006 wrote:
    I had no idea this was being made... so its a remake yeah of the first one and they are still doing number 9 ?
    Afaik this is another sequel, not a remake.

Not 100% on that though...

So it's neither here nor there then :)

I was never huge into the Halloween series, so I won't worry about it like a Halloween fan might, I'm just curious to see what Rob Zombie can conjur up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I hate 'partial' remakes. Its one of the things that really annoyed me about Superman returns. In some ways it was a sequel but it ignored key storyline notes such as Lois knowing that Clark was Superman, in other ways it was a remake in that they lifted whole peices of dialogue from the original. One or the other please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Can't imagine a worse director to try and remake ANYTHING.

House of 1000 Corpses & Devil's Rejects are just awful films, and the gore wasn't even enjoyable/disturbing/interesting (delete as applicable). I was bored to tears during both, so I dread his remake/re-imagining/pre/sequel...
    I hate 'partial' remakes. Its one of the things that really annoyed me about Superman returns. In some ways it was a sequel but it ignored key storyline notes such as Lois knowing that Clark was Superman, in other ways it was a remake in that they lifted whole peices of dialogue from the original. One or the other please.

Totally agree :mad:

• Advertisement

'Partial remakes' to use your term, can work.
    Batman Begins, for example. It wasn't a sequel, nor was it a remake. It was like re-creating the franchise again. It contradicted Bruce Wayne's origins in the Tim Burton versions. (Not a huge comic fan, can't remember off the top of my head who had it right...think it was Nolan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I was probably reacting more to the 'Superman Returns' bit more so than a general "all partial remakes are bad", so I also agree with this too. I really loved Batman Begins, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with The Dark Knight. Zombie & Halloween? Not so much. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Batman Begins, for example. It wasn't a sequel, nor was it a remake. It was like re-creating the franchise again. It contradicted Bruce Wayne's origins in the Tim Burton versions. (Not a huge comic fan, can't remember off the top of my head who had it right...think it was Nolan).

I think you are wrong. I loved batman begins but I wouldnt class it as a remake, sequel or partial remake. It was a director taking a completely different approach to batman. He never put it forward as a remake or a sequel and it was in no way connected to the other films. Superman on the other hand, was intended to be a sequel to Superman II...but it ignored half of what happened in Superman II. It also lifted looooads of scenes and dialoug from Superman I.

So you cant really compare them in that sense.

Tusky wrote:
    I think you are wrong. I loved batman begins but I wouldnt class it as a remake, sequel or partial remake. It was a director taking a completely different approach to batman. He never put it forward as a remake or a sequel and it was in no way connected to the other films. Superman on the other hand, was intended to be a sequel to Superman II...but it ignored half of what happened in Superman II. It also lifted looooads of scenes and dialoug from Superman I.

So you cant really compare them in that sense.
    Really? I never watched Superman in the end, but I had been under the impression that it was in the same mould as Batman Begins, a new director's approach to the origin.

While we're on the topic of remakes, Friday The 13th is also getting the treatment.
    A little more info:

http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/f13prequel.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

its a sequel

no news about it though
    the only one in the cast is ur one who won the competition

give it 5 years i say

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Sorry for bumping an older thread but I just learned about this remake/sequel. Release planned for Halloween 07, at least in the US. I really don't like the idea of Mr.Zombie messing around with probably the greatest slasher movie ever. I don't think much of his two Devils films, the first was like a music video with horror bits every so often.

well in all fair ness when some no one really messes about with the orignals ( aprt from George lucas ) Zombie is making his own version of it so hold judgment till you see it I saw ya never know what he might do. The latest bond film took a crapy orignal and made a cracker out of it so there is always hope for remakes i saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭faithy

the latest thing ive heard bout the new halloween is Fergie from black eyed peas has the part as laurie. Which im praying is a rumour. i read it in the paper the other day and nearly died

Why? have you seen her in anything before?

The idea of Billy piper being in Dr. Who sounded like a disaster but she pulled it off really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Apparrently Malcolm McDowell (A Clockwork Orange etc) has been cast as Loomis. A pretty good choice actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

omg imagine ian mc kellan doing it *has wet dream*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I am a John Carpenter/Halloween nut. It's insane how obsessed I am. This ain't a brag though, this is merely to explain that with all my obsession, even I am giving Zombie the benefit of the doubt. In his initial interview with Halloween Movies.com he was grilled. "Mr. Zombie what about the mask?" RZ:"Well Timmy we're going to keep it the same as it was in the original film, this is very important to us". "Mr.Zombie what about the music?" RZ:"Well Jimmy we're going to keep it the same as it was in the original". etc. Zombie has promised all these wonderful things like focusing on mood, character. Keeping production details the same blah blah blah and if he keeps his word, excellent! I'll be first in line! However, in today's climate of film entertainment, you just simply don't have the bigwigs with the heart to allow a film be as simple and bare as the first Halloween was. They know that buckets of blood and the crowd pleasing set-pieces will bring all the varied audiencs in just like the ones I had to put up with screaming jumping all through Hostel. Their basic mantra is "Just a guy stalking people only to kill them mostly off screen or in the pitch dark whilst home alone? No way!" Obviously showing a human body bleed 4 pints more blood than it could possibly have in its body is far more realistic and terrifying. All I know is that if I were in the cinema watching a film that stuck to the original code, then I would not sleep soundly at home that night, particularly not if I found myself alone! So I have faith but I just don't realistically think Zombie will be given the oppurtunity!

Sorry for the insanely long post but there's no other topic in the world I'd ever speak more passioately about!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

I have the Greatest Respect for Rob Zombie as a filmmaker. I know not alot of people like it, but The Devils Rejects would go down as one of my favourite films, in top 5 definitely, and thats up there with the original Halloween.

SO... I have great faith in Zombie being at the helm of this project.... we've seen some bad remakes in the last ten years.... now..... but hell.... I just cant wait for this one. I dont think he would have taken on the project if he knew he couldnt do something stupendous and original.

I was informed that its set in the same year as the original. Take the look of Devils rejects, Zombie chose to shoot it on super 16mm then going for 35mm, so it would give the grainy look of the 70's.... he also chose to have it all handheld. Zombie put together a great crew for Rejects and the script was blooming fantastic..... the movie starts where you hate the characters.... then he reinforces why you hate them, then an hour later, when "Free Bird" by Lynryd Skynryd kicks in.... you know its all going down... and you want the bad guys to win..... he created an emotion in that 7 min slowmo that made you think... right... at the start of this film.. I hated them... now ... a strange feeling.. Compassion...
    Not too many Directors can pull something like that off.....
    plus what he got out of the actors was brilliant, mother firefly being interrogated etc....

Plus he's casted Danny Trejo to be in it.... F***ing Legend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

One problem with Zombie: Sheri Moon!!

Wife or not she is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen! Stop casting her man! :biggrin:

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

One of the best horrors ive seen is probably house of 1000 corpses and id be interested in seen what he makes of Halloween. Same name but id say itll be a totally different movie. Still as big a fan as i am of Rob Zombies work theres no way he'll surpass the original Halloween. Its such a simple movie to direct from the outside but lots of directors copy but they never get the same effect. Hopefully Rob Zombie wont try and will take a totally different angle at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

true 18+ films are so rare these days pity.

Any one rember Halloween 3 with the dodgy smakrocks on the pumpkins. The Irish are comming, the irish are commin........ run.

haha ye i remember that! have it on vid. the song in it went thru my head. lol

Advertisement