Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Recommendations

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'm getting broadband and want a Internet security suite. Would like any recommendations anyone has on the subject. I was thinking of going for Mcafee internet security suite 06 or norton internet suite 06. Would love any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

E-Trust is my Virus software of choice, also does,nt eat up CPU / Memory like others.

All other wares, take your chances .....

Maybe consider Linux on your PC if worried about becoming a zombie, having your data stolen, safer but still no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I was thinking of going for Mcafee internet security suite 06 or norton internet suite 06.

My advice would be to not bother with the above.

I have Zonealarm + AVG + Adaware and I keep my PC fully patched.

All free, never had any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

I'm a systems engineer myself and I swear by NOD32 anti-virus and Outpost Pro firewall. Those along with keeping your Windows patched should see you hassle-free. Watch those file-share programs, Limewire etc. They can be nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Teamhair wrote:
    I'm a systems engineer myself and I swear by NOD32 anti-virus and Outpost Pro firewall. Those along with keeping your Windows patched should see you hassle-free. Watch those file-share programs, Limewire etc. They can be nasty.
    aye, NOD32 is reputed to be the best there is, free 30 day trial as well.

I use AVG and ZoneAlarm myself, both free but work perfectly. AVG catches everything that has been thrown at it.

Don't go near McAfee or Norton. They will hog your resources and slow your PC down. They are not worth the money and subscription fees, as AVG signatures tend to be just as if not more up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sygate Personal Firewall (5.6) still works quite well even though its not supported anymore, update to XP SP2 if you haven't already. Get Avast!, AVG or Anti-Vir and use a combination of anti-spyware programs like Spybot, Windows Defender and Ad-Aware. Stay away from Norton and McAffee, not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement

Don't go near McAfee or Norton. They will hog your resources and slow your PC down.

Yeah, forgot to mention that- Norton and McAfee are really resource-hungry, even if you're running a P4 with a half gig of RAM. As for NOD32, you wouldn't even know it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Nat router is vital

Patches are vital

Then follow aidan_walsh signature his sig is now the boards.ie standard :)
    The Most Logical Equation for Windows Computing:
    (Anti-Vir || AVG || avast!) && Windows Defender && SpyBot && AdAware && (ZoneAlarm || Kerio || SyGate [ Redirected ]) == Safe

Little bit over the top and maybe a touch paranoid but to each his (her) own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭calliopeia

Thank you all. I dont have a access to a credit card so some of them I can't try. But I will be trying some of them. Thanks again for your help and recommendations! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

calliopeia wrote:
    Thank you all. I dont have a access to a credit card so some of them I can't try. But I will be trying some of them. Thanks again for your help and recommendations! :)
    You dont need to pay for any of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

calliopeia wrote:

They are all free. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

I recommend 'anti vir : PresonalEdition Classic' - free (low resource and works on linux for those that want it)

for spyware, Spybot as well as ad-ware

and zone alarm free edition for a firewall.

Latest firefox too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Spybot, Ad-aware SE, Windows Defender, and Spyware Blaster are free, compatible, and are great for malware/adware.

Webroot Spy Sweeper conflicts with Ad-aware, and Ghost Surf will suck up about 20 percent of your capacity with their proxy running all the time while online (and has a lot of bugs). Hi-jack This is quite good, but only for the very knowledgable programmer/hacker, as you can remove something vital from your essential programmes if you do not know what you are doing.

I am not too keen on the AV programmes available today, so I am not in a position to offer a recommendation. Norton and McAfee eat up your capacity and lag behind in their definitions. Read mixed reviews on Zone Alarm. One thing for certain, not wise to double up AV programmes, as one might counteract the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

When you mean too keen on AV applications, do you mean you tried out and tested every single one or just read reviews like the Zone Alarm one?

Give anti-vir a go - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

You dont need to pay for any of them!

The ones i've checked have 30days free, but then you have to pay!
    Free is better, but i'll pay as well. Just want to protect my p.c.
    I was told that norton2003 is very good, alot better then the newer versions!!! I'm trying out avg at the moment, it looks good. But I'm not connected yet sooooo I'll have to see when I'm up and running! :) I'm sure I'll be trying them all out at one time or another, Just to be on the safeside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

AVG Free here
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/

Spybot S & D ( Anti spyware also free/donationware)
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Zonealarm free edition
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=GB&lang=en&lid=nav_za

My personal opinions on Mcfee and Symantic products have been formed by dealing with the software and require bad language to express fully.
    Ill just say there crap and they miss spyware due to a court case.

Still think its funny that its the same software though.

Thank you so much for the links, nutjob. Have'nt been on, long enough lately to have a good look round. :)

Advertisement