Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car ASAP

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im board of my car, want to shift it but there are a load of 2nd hand motors out there ATM so things a re slow. Haven't seen anything I want to trade in agaist.

Have it on here, CarZone and Buy and sell. What other sites would people recomend or other options. Which sites are worth paying for the more expensive adds etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i think carzone is a great site but i have my car up for sale and i havenot got 1 single call after over 350 hits on the page.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I had seven calls about a car worth over 30k on Carzone within days.. how long have you got it up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MotherGoose

I'd Recommened www.cbg.ie myself. Carzone is a very good site, but there are so many second hand cars on there it would prob hard to sell. I think you need to make sure yours stands to have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Took me 3 months to sell my Zafira on carzone!:( It was the lowest mileage for it's year and I pitched the price so that it was the cheapest Zaf for it's year, Carzone is dominated by dealers and I think a lot of people looking there have trade-ins to part-ex. On the upside I did get €300 more for it than it cost me to import from the North 18 months ago! :D 15k miles of motoring cost me just petrol and servicing, not an easy task to achieve with depreciation the way it is these days!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Having a quick look on carzone, you seem to have it well priced.
    Only competition are these really:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=479224
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=469873

If you want to sell it asap - drop the price to 7250, no offers.

• Advertisement

I think you can go to the best site in the world.. if your car is not desirable then it will not sell quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭sk8board

Big Balls wrote:
    I think you can go to the best site in the world.. if your car is not desirable then it will not sell quickly.

Couldn't agree more.

carzone seems to be flooded with cars at the mo. 1,200 VW Golfs for sale! and thats just one site :o)

its very hard to shift the base model car's, and your 02 Meg is also the same age as the new model (2002). thats your biggest issue.

Incidently I have the same car, but its a Black '00 1.4 Rxi with absolutely every extra. (same as this one, but matt black: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=477726)

is it the 98bhp engine? the 1.4 16v was also available in 98hp. Compare that to the 75hp in the Golf that weights the same as a sherman tank, and you'd leave it for dead. If it is, its worth noting on the Ad. I got mine 18 months old, and thats one of the things that attracted me.

Never bothered to sell it. I shoe-horn it into the train station every morning, and every evening I've attracted someone elses paint! Not the place for new car's.

sk8board wrote:
    1,200 VW Golfs for sale! and thats just one site :o)

All depends on your colour, spec, price and kms knocked up on it!

It was a Golf that I had on Carzone, albeit a GTI but it was black, 3dr, low kms and I undercut every other GTI for the year and kms and the phone didn't stop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

All the replies much appricted. Your 100% right on the desireabilty of the car. And the old Megane isn't really up there on the cool front. I think that most people want a car for about 4-5k or 15k+ these days and the middle ground is tough.

I bought that Megane out of conveince (bought on a thursday because I needed a car for work on the monday) and I regret it big time now. Nothing wrong with it at all but I want a change (04/05 Golf or an A3). Not being able to shift it is holding me back big time, haven't found a dealer car that i want or Id have traded it instantly (and probhably get screwed!).

Reckon CBG is my next add alright, alot more expensive to advertise with CBG though. Its up there about 2/3 weeks. NCT will be done shortly which will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Bought a car up north recently and put it in cbg.ie. Have to say it took 3 phone calls over 2 days to actually get the add on properly!! Lots of copying and pasting of wrong details going on :mad: and not enough words allowed to fully describe all the extras. 55euro for 3 weeks.
    Put it on carzone for 30euro(the add not the car:rolleyes: ) I can edit the add, put in loads of photos and as much info as I want.The add stays on till its sold for no extra cost.
    First day and no calls yet but may well end up keeping the car as i'm driving it myself and love it(no dicipline)
    Any way try carzone.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There's a lot to be said for the good old "Kerbside Motors" with all the websites you are limited by how people search for a car.

By putting the car out with a "for sale" sign on it clearly showing the price you will often find someone (sorry to stereotype, but mostly women) who will come along and say, "oh thats a lovely 5 door hatchback we can afford, give em a ring" I sold a '97 Rover 214 last year like that. Couldn't of given it away otherwise...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah iv been thinking about that alright, ill have to keep it washed and clean as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I have two cars I need to get rid of as quick as possible.

They are a 1.8 Turbo Petro Passat and a 2 litre turbo Saab 93 coupe.

Both are decent cars with NCTs but there are just not enough people looking for them. Plus, with the rising cost of petrol and the thirst on these two cars I can't see it getting any better.

Anyway, I could do with the cash and I was thinking of cutting my losses and dropping them into Merlin Car Auctions. Has anyone here ever sold a car there. Do you think I would get rind of these two in it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

I sold my car on Carzone within 1 week for the asking price got 400 euro more for it than i paid for it 2 years earlier.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Just a quick on on the "Kerbside Motors"......drive the car to the nearest garage for the make of your car.....i.e. if its Renault, park it not to far from the gate of the forecourt with a well printed up sign....eg....
    FOR SALE
    and then insert all the details at the bottom...engine size, milage,spec, guide price and your own details

People walking past on their way to the garage will go hmmmm....cos you'll probably have it priced well below the dealerships asking price.

If you living in Dublin, bring it to Airside and get someone to collect ya and leave it there for a few hours, with all the dealerships there (7 or 8) you'll get loads of potential buyers passing by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Any one get the call from 'the vehicle center' in england as per the warning on carzone??
    I got the call today, very convincing that someone wanted to see/test drive my car this evening and were prepared to pay the asking price. But they wanted 100 sterling up front to arrange the meeting!!

Anyone actually sell their car this way or have a bad experience?/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

I've heard this is a bit of scam. Risk it if you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any one get the call from 'the vehicle center' in england as per the warning on carzone??
    I got the call today, very convincing that someone wanted to see/test drive my car this evening and were prepared to pay the asking price. But they wanted 100 sterling up front to arrange the meeting!!

Anyone actually sell their car this way or have a bad experience?/

This is definately a scam.

Do not entertain it for one moment! There are no buyers lined up, they take your money and you never hear from them again.

Advertisement