Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

learning to...... swim ??

Options
  • 15-08-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭

I heard about this guy who never swam in his life start off with cliff diving, 40 meters up, straight into rocks below, never checked how deep it was, never made it! I also heard of another guy who tried to swim across the Shannon one day on his own, never had lessons or anything like that, knew he a born swimmer, didn’t make it! I also heard of a guy who one day had decided to take up swimming, he had never swam a day in his life before, although he had seen his parents and friends do it, but he decided on a common sense approach where he took swimming lessons, 1 on 1 with an instructor, in the shallow end of the pool at all times, just in case something went wrong, as the weeks and months progressed so did his skill level, he moved onto the bigger pool, didn’t require the 1 on 1 tuition any more but always had the instructor there just in case, finally when he and others felt his skill level was high enough he felt confident and so did others around him that he could safely go to the pool on his own and have a swim.

Simplistic tale ? maybe….. common sense ? I for one think so….

Why do learner drivers want to drive fast cars ? It just does not make any sense whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Define learner driver and define 'fast cars' please, in your opinion.

Learner driver - driver on a provisional?

Fast Car - 200bhp+ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

oleras wrote:
    Why do learner drivers want to drive fast cars ? It just does not make any sense whatsoever.

I wanted to drive fast cars when I was 7 years old. It makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Speed=Thrill. Fast cars are appealing to many, and crashed by plenty! When you switch from say a Micra to an MR2 you get a wakeup call on how hard fast cars can be to drive though. Learners probably should wait a long time before being allowed drive fast cars. But, in Ireland, if you can afford massive insurance and a fast car, you can grab your provisonal and speed yourself silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I hear what you mean oleras, its a nice analogy. Unfortunately, it just won't seem to click with the message you're trying to get across, as the previous 2 posts to my own have demonstrated.

Still, thanks for sharing! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Everybody wants to drive their dream machine, a tractor, a Lamborghini , a Bentley. it makes no difference what age a person is if they don’t know how to control their vehicle they are a danger.
    Driver education is the problem in Ireland not young drivers…..

Brian
    DrivingInfo.ie
    IRISH NATIONAL DRIVING & MOTORING WEBSITE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Humans like the sensation of movement and young men love it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

mloc123 wrote:
    Define learner driver and define 'fast cars' please, in your opinion.

Learner driver - driver on a provisional?

Fast Car - 200bhp+ ?

A learner driver is a driver that is still learning.......

And a fast car is anything that goes faster than the maximum speed limit....

Any other questions, dont hesitate to give me a shout !! :D

Everybody wants to drive their dream machine, a tractor, a Lamborghini , a Bentley. it makes no difference what age a person is if they don’t know how to control their vehicle they are a danger.
    Driver education is the problem in Ireland not young drivers…..

Brian
    DrivingInfo.ie
    IRISH NATIONAL DRIVING & MOTORING WEBSITE

When was age mentioned in my post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

oleras wrote:
    A learner driver is a driver that is still learning.......

Any other questions, dont hesitate to give me a shout !! :D

Most cars co faster than the maximum speed limit. i know my 1.0 Corsa can hit 120kmh anyway with a few 1000 RPM remaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Ok my mistake, sorry
    But in my experience I have never had a learner driver aged around their late 20s or 30s inquire about fast cars. They are more interested in just driving.

Brian
    DrivingInfo.ie

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:

lol, every car can go faster than the maximum limit.

ninty9er wrote:
    Most cars co faster than the maximum speed limit. i know my 1.0 Corsa can hit 120kmh anyway with a few 1000 RPM remaining

Good for you !!!!

mloc123 wrote:
    lol, every car can go faster than the maximum limit.

Exactly........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mike65 wrote:
    Humans like the sensation of movement and young men love it.

Mike.

Older men like the sensation of movment too ...only they have learned to associate that sensation not exclusively with cars :D:D:D

peasant wrote:
    Older men like the sensation of movment too ...only they have learned to associate that sensation not exclusively with cars :D:D:D

It all comes down to filth at the end of the day .....:D just kidding !!

But on a more serious note... why are people argueing with what i have said, and its certainly not a "how dare you disagree with me attitude"... this makes complete sense all the time, no matter what you do in life you train for it, and if that task involves some danger you make sure you train as best you can to avoid the dangers involved and dont go beyond your capabilities.... small steps for small feet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

oleras wrote:
    But on a more serious note... why are people argueing with what i have said, and its certainly not a "how dare you disagree with me attitude"... this makes complete sense all the time, no matter what you do in life you train for it, and if that task involves some danger you make sure you train as best you can to avoid the dangers involved and dont go beyond your capabilities.... small steps for small feet.....

Ahh ..but that would be ...(dare i say it?) ...sensible :eek:

peasant wrote:
    Ahh ..but that would be ...(dare i say it?) ...sensible :eek:

ohhh do dare !!!:D

Just because people might drive 'fast cars' it doesn't mean they drive them fast.

Advertisement