Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen seal rubber

Options
  • 15-08-2006 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭

I repaired some rust under the windscreen seal of one of our cars. The rust was on the roof/window frame just under the seal. Problem is the seal is now sitting a millimetre or so proud of the roof where I did the repair. About 4 centimetres of the seal is sitting up like this, doesn't sound like much but I have no doubt that it will start letting water in. The seal is quite old and is not as springy as it should be also the metal where the rust repair is is not entirely smooth so that doesn't help either.

Apart from getting a new seal can I do anything with it. For instance could I put a tiny amount of silicone sealant in the 1 mm gap. Would it stick to the rubber and metal and make the seal. I remember reading before that silicone sealant is unsuitable for this purpose. Another one I heard suggested was vaseline but I heard this rots rubber. Are there any other products I could use. I actually have heard of something called "rubber paint" which is advertised for rejuvenating tried windscreen and door seals. Anyone know anything about it or know where I can get it in this country

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Deffo not silicone !

You need something that will not harden and stay elastic.

On my camper I use stuff called "Dekalin" ..absolutely brilliant seal !

But I don't think you can get that here.

Try if you can find "Sikaflex 221" (I think Wuerth sells some Sikaflex products) failing that some other sealant on polyurethane basis.

Halfords sell some kind of Caravan sealant, but I haven't investigated this any further yet ...don't know what's in it ...silicone is a no-no ...it gases out acids that corrode metal.

Just thought about it ...windsreen fitters ...D'oh ...they should have something suitable and be able to give you a bit of it ...will save you buying a whole cartridge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for that peasant I will research for those products and for polyurethane sealants in general. Just another question though - is the rubber seal that goes around the outside of the windscreen and edge of the roof the only thing stopping water getting into the car interior. Or is there another "inner seal" or some such underneath it eg for bonding the glass to the body.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

that depends very much on the type and age of your car.

Nowadays everything is glued / bonded (glass on metal)
    In the old days all you had was a special rubber profile bridging the gap between glass an metal.

And in the not too distant past all sorts of inbetween compromises.

Ask your windscreen fitter (while your there, begging for a dollop of sealant:D ) how your particular windsreen is fitted and sealed.

Advertisement