Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connell Street in Sligo pedestrianised from tomorrow (15th August)..

Options
  • 14-08-2006 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭

So what do we think of this?

Was down there today on my lunch and they had two god-awful tall Christmas like trees outside Carraig Donn! :eek:

Somewhat torn on the issue myself. One side of me likes the fact that it has been pedestrianised as i have been gunning for it (not literally) for years now. But then again..

.. i'm not a driver but if i was, i sure wouldn't be happy at the current situation with those traffic lights over at the end of John Street.

PS - anyone know if they're repaving the ground with something smoother or anything like that? Probably worth doing... not much need for curbs and such now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

O'Connell Street has been pedestrainised? When did this happen? Where's the traffic going through now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Will be looking forward to seeing what its like, hopefully they won't take a leaf out of Dublin's book if/when they resurfice the street.

Not sure what the traffic will be like, the may need to open stephen street again, to ease the congestion or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It will be shut from Tue 15th August. It's well behind time too, although just shutting the one street and put all the traffic right by the end of it doesn't seem very well thought out.
    It's been on the cards for years. In last weeks Champion there was an artists impression and it must have been ten years old (David Martin's hair salon hasn't been on O'Connell Street for years).
    Time will tell, but I think a more thorough approach would be better. But who am I to doubt the wise elders of the Borough Council :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

I think it's well overdue, how they'll manage the traffic remains to be seen, but I think it will be better in the long run, we#ll just have to wait and see how long it'll take.

If they're smart they won't repave yet until they have done a sufficient "test period" if it works fine, then they can go ahesa and re-pave, if it doesn't work, the can change it back.

I reckon it'll be a case of "Trial and Error" until they get it right, but I'm putting my faith in those in charge (God! how naive is that????)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I've been listening to the radio and its meant to be chaos. Traffic backed up to Summerhill College.
    What I'm puzzled about is why isn't there a route to get from the Cranmore area to the hospital/ Manorhamilton road, I think that would alieviate a huge amount of traffic.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that myself. They should make Thomas Street and Bridge Street 2 way and most people would be happy to avoid the middle of town. Traffic going along Castl Street should be routed up Market Street and Gratten Street should be pedestrianised. Then lower John Street should be shut from O'Connell to back enterance to Wine St. car park. Close the middle of the town altogether and use a bit of intelligence to route the traffic efficiently around it. Too much to hope for I suppose. A friend of mine works in a office in Castle St. and he just rang to say it's mayhem. And several people have mentioned that the Mid-Block is backed up beyond Summerhill heading north. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

They'll probably do a bit of chopping and changing 'till its all sorted out. Read in the weekender they are spending 2million doing up o'connell street. Should be nice when its done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was in town today and the traffic didn't seem too bad. I couldn't believe all the delivery trucks in O'Connell Street though.
    I also couldn't believe those two awful triffids that are outside the Bistro!:eek:

Triffids. ha ha lol. I'll get me pitch fork :D
    It'll all be a mess when the kids are back to school. And the students. Nearly a fifth of the towns population, and alot of them have cars. That massive car park at the I.T. is full every day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

wow! sligo is changing so much. I wont be home for ages yet..oh the excitment of things to see when to do grace beautiful sligo with my own beautiful presence! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement