Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe

Options
  • 14-08-2006 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Thinking of getting a 97/98 Hyundai Coupe,
    Whats the reliablity like and deprecation.
    Something with average millage for the year.

ANy info will be helpful

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

With a car of that age, you're not going to be taking much of a hit for depreciation. I reckon youd get one with about 100,000 miles. At that age it will be the older model, which should be cheap as chips. Can't speak for the old model, but I have a 2002 one and nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I had a 1998 one for about 10 months and it was a world of pain with things going wrong (suspension, battery, buckled alloys, electrics i could go on...). It was a "bad car" however, i suspect it may have been crashed and repaired, it was a finace repo so prob had the arse driven out of it by the previous owner and was just the worst car I have ever owned. Took an age to get rid of as well, lost a bit just to shift it. When all the bits did work it was fun to drive though :). Korean built cars with 100k on the clock? I'd probably look elsewhere, if you could afford it a nice 316i (or Alfa 156 :eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Hi

I had a 99 Coupe for a few years and only just traded it in. The 1.6 is under powered but the level of spec (electric sunroof, electric windows, electric mirrors etc etc) is very good. The seats are back huging and thats very much down to personal choice if you like that.

Reliability is very good, dont use Kingstown motors as your main dealer as they are a rip off and their service is the worst I have come across for any main dealer!

Fuel consumption is not bad but remember for a car that will have over 60k on the clock make sure that the timing belts have been done.

All in all a very good car and one that if treated well I have no doubt in future will become a classic becuase of all those curves!

PM me if you need any more help or info!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

My mate was going to buy a 98 one a few mths back and we test drove it, it was a 2 Litre and drove like a Micra in fact Id say Micra had one more vrroom, , great looking car for its time but an absolute shoitebox after a few years if the one we drove was anything to go by.

Also the dealer said the tapet noise was par for the course so watch out for that if you are serious about getting one !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Coupes are generally very well built, based on the Lantra, mechanicals are very simple. Certainly if you compare with other cars of that age.

• Advertisement
Advertisement