Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying a 4x4 / SUV

Options
  • 13-08-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I know little or nothing about motors and would appreciate some advice. Currently driving a 99 Seat Cordoba but plan to change in the next few weeks. Having moved down the country to Ballivor, Co Meath I'm driving longer distances and on more country back roads. I would like to upgrade a few years ( the newer the better ) .The other considerations are it has to be diesel and be large enough for a large family of 2 adults & 4 children. My budget is around 25k plus whatever I can get for the Seat on a trade-in.

The brother recently picked up a Hyundai Santa Fe 2ltr diesel which is nice but I would not buy the same vehicle.

Any advice or thoughts welcome:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Get an Alhambra if you're happy with the Cordoba. Just because You're doing backroads doesn't mean you have to join the SUV bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

As ninty9er said its a troop carrier you need (people carrier:) ) not an SUV or a 4X4. There are loads to choose from but one that springs to mind is the Hyundai Trajet diesel, they are huge inside and very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Whats the difference between an SUV and a jeep?

An SUV is a refined jeep, i.e. most jeeps are commercials or were designed for commercial use, towing and carrying things. An SUV is designed to be more people friendly i.e. for carrying people and shopping etc., plus it has more extras geared at carrying people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

ninty9er wrote:
    Get an Alhambra if you're happy with the Cordoba. Just because You're doing backroads doesn't mean you have to join the SUV bandwagon.

Have to be honest not content to stay with a Seat.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The main (technical) difference would be the actual 4x4 bits. A real "Jeep" has a reduction gearbox, possibly some diff locks or selectable 4WD. Some still have solid axles and most still have a separate ladder frame.
    You do not really need any of this for normal road driving

A SUV is really just a normal car with some sort of viscous coupling transferring power to the other wheels once the normal driving wheels (usually front) loose traction. Pretty useless for real offroad work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any suggestions ??????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I like the jeep cherokee, you could get a grand jeep cherokee, heres an example

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=264040

Jeeps are crap to be honest, I had 2 of them and they cost me a fortune. You'd be better off with a Japanese diesel people carrier i.e. Hyundai Trajet diesel. Have a look at one anyway, if you don't like it no harm done.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Them trajets look crap, i think people who are looking for an SUV are also looking for the image associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 thrown into the hat....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

junkyard wrote:
    You'd be better off with a Japanese diesel people carrier i.e. Hyundai Trajet diesel.

Junkyard, you should know that Hyundai's are Korean and not Japanese! Fancy insulting 127 million Japanese like that! Or 47 million Koreans, depending on your point of view!;)

Macker - Have a look in some scrapyards to see how well most 4X4's are suited to backroads! Because of a high centre of gravity, compromised on-road performance and poor braking distances, they have a nasty habit of falling off into the scenery. If your still not convinced add high running costs, tyres, Tax, fuel etc.

Look for a new model '05 Zafira Turbodiesel for your money, still won't go round corners aswell as a car but light years ahead of any 4X4 within your budget...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=463477

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=480175

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    Junkyard, you should know that Hyundai's are Korean and not Japanese! Fancy insulting 127 million Japanese like that! Or 47 million Koreans, depending on your point of view!;)

[/url]

[[/url]
    They're all the same as far as I'm concerned,;) :D
    I wouldn't be losing the run of yourself there with an Opel there by the way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Jeep is a brand.
    SUV is a generic name for a type of vehicle, Sports Utility Vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Have a look. This is a Proper MPV with a boot included

Previa

edit

or this aptly named one
    MPV

the van converted
    V-Class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Focus C-Max?

http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=708801320051229&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Pity they don't sell it in 110bhp rather than the 90bhp...

Maybe this is a little small but unless you're a fashion victim you don't need a 4x4.

Was the old Avensis Verso never replaced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

ninty9er wrote:

I've heard those V-Class van things are known to have electrical problems and aren't very ecconomical.

A Previa is a good choice, or the Jap import version (Lucida), they're more of them around than the Irish-spec Previa.

Advertisement