Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coop abroad

Options
  • 13-08-2006 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Im thinking of going abroad for coop and need to decide before the first week of September. Has anyone here done it and if so I'd like to know your experiences and if you enjoyed it. All of the people I know are going for Ireland but I'd like a different experience. I suppose being in a different country on my own for 8 months is the main thing putting me off, or would you be around other students doing the same thing? Anyone that has done it in the past who could share their experience would be a great help. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What course first off?

Depends where abroad really and if folks from your course have gone abroad previous.

You can put in for abroad and change back to domestic later but can't go the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭hotnipples

yeah looking at my post now its kinda useless as ive given no information whatsoever, whoops

Its mech eng, and it looks like Germany or France are what I'd be looking at. I'm leaning more towards Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I'm in Tokyo on Co-op and I'm actually writing my Co-op report this morning so I've been reflecting over my time here. Basically, I'm delighted I came over, it has been a great experience and I would definitely recommend a foreign placement. Some of my friends went to Spain, France and Italy and they all had a ball. Think of it this way, chances are you'll end up working in Ireland so why not take this opportunity to get out and see a different approach to doing things. It's a great way of meeting new people and seeing new places and I think it stands to you in the long run.
    When I came here first, I knew nobody and was really struggling with the language but it all worked out and I've enjoyed my time. But if anything, it has made me appreciate home more and I think, given me a new perspective on my life in Ireland. It's always good to be able to stand back and take a look at things from a different point of view.
    I don't know anyone that went to Germany on Co-op but i did an exchange there when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that the Germans are culturally the closest to us in Europe and are very easy to get along with. Do you speak any of the language because that would really help you to settle in, although most of the Germans I've come in contact with speak English so it wouldn't be a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Very helpful reply there id say eljono!! Best of luck with the report, safe home and hopefully we might meet ya at some point during the year!

Thanks for the reply eljono! Tokyo wow.. thats an impressively long journey for co-op :) What course are you in? As for knowing the language.. really I dont know much, I know the little bit I learned in the German elective during Year 1 which to be honest is a pitiful amount. Nice to hear positive feedback though cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Cheers 440hz, I'll have to try and make it to a bulbs in sem. 2 (assuming I pass the repeats). I'm off to France for Erasmus the week after the repeats so sem. 1 is out of it.

@ hotnipples (great name): Languages and Cultural Studies. About the language, don't worry. My Japanese was truly pitiful when I came over and anyway, you'll pick some up as you go along.

Good luck with whatever you decide on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

i went to norway for four months, had an absolute ball, even though Norway is crazy expensive, way worse than here, but it's great to meet and get to know people from all over Europe and even further afield.

I would jump at the chance to go again, and even though 8 months might seem like a stretch, yer only ever going to be a cheap Ryanair flight from a weekend at home. Didnt find the homesickness to be much of a problem myself, once you're occupied you'll have great craic. Germany would be a great place to go too, seemed to come into its own as a party nation thanks to WC2006. So I say go. :D

Thanks again for the feedback lads, im definately considering going now, cause hanging around here doing the same old stuff for 8 months, drinking cans in the same old houses at the weekends isnt appealing to me. Really want a new experience. I'm even thinking about getting German grinds in the college (im enthusiastic about that now, but will probably be a different story when I start getting stuck into the Year2 mech eng stuff, will probably have enough on my plate).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

When I was in 2nd year of Computer Systems I went to Munich on co-op in 2000. It basically changed my life. Had a great experience there, it opened my eyes to the world and you will come back with a different perspective on things. It also kicked my a$$ into gear college & results-wise .

I saw that life isn't all about getting battered and hanging around Limerick scraping through exams. In the end I did pretty well in 3rd and 4th year, dragged up the QCA, did a Masters ...got a job in France straight from Uni on the back of having worked abroad, then a second job in London where I am right now. They are sending me to Zurich for a few months soon, on the back of the fact that I'm able to live and work abroad etc, which all stems from that co-op experience in 2000.

I think originally I had wanted to spend my co-op in Limerick so that I could be around friends, etc. Thank God that fell through - I really think going to Munich on co-op was a turning point in my life, the one that broke the mold so to speak.

I had German from Leaving Cert in school, not fluent or anything but could struggle along. Any questions PM me hotnipplies, classic name.

Thanks for the reply BossArky, anyone I'm asking is recommending it so I think I'll go for it. What was your accomodation like? Did you have to look around for it long?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

For the first week I stayed in a hostel somewhere around RotkruezPlazt. Cannot remember what it cost but it was nothing too expensive. Breakfast included.

After the first week I found accomodation through the family of someone I worked with. Was good as got the chance to see how a German family live, etc, but still had the freedom to come and go as I liked... i.e. no rules or anything silly. That house was out on the S8 underground towards the airport. Woke up many times in the airport on the way home from a nightout after accidently falling asleep on the tube home :rolleyes:

That was handy alright. I suppose I can't guarantee I'm going to be as lucky! How was the hostel? What was going to be the plan if you didn't get in with them?

I probably would have stayed in the hostel for another week or two if that accomodation didn't come up. Once you get there people in work will definetly help you get set up. So, book a hostel for the first week and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Do it! Just wanted to add some more positive comments to the thread. I went to Germany on my coop last summer and I can't recommend it enough. I'm in Aero eng myself and spent the 8 months in Hamburg, which I'd really recommend as a place to live, although I know you don't get much of a say in the matter. I wouldn't be too worried about the language, as you will pick up what you need to get by in no time at all, and for the most part people will be delighted to help you out. It sounds like you're enthusiastic about learning it too, which will definitely make the difference. My only regret from the whole experience is that I didn't learn enough of the language, due to being a bit lazy about it, and also the fact that a lot of our work was done through english.

One thing that seems to put people off going abroad is the fact that you'll be earning less than you would in Ireland- but you'll be eligible for the Leonardo grant through UL which makes up for it. I had a really nice standard of living when I was over there and found the cost of living to be a good bit less than at home.

The only bad part is leaving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

In my opinion the subject of earnings shouldn't even be a consideration for co-op. Many students seem to have the shallow opinion that co-op will serve as a good way to earn money for 4th year and therefore are less enthusiastic about going abroad where wages are less. This is rediculous, if I were you I would seize the opportunity to spend 8 months abroad and experience a new culture and working environment. I am about to finish my stint abroad next month and I can look back over the period as one where I definitely bacame more self sufficient, independent and almost fully prepared for the working world that awaits after we graduate. Take the plunge and go abroad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

Yea,defo go for it...I did business and my co-op was in New York working with AIB....was one of the best times of my life...looks great on the CV in future years......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm doing Public Admin and I was thinking about doing Co-Op abroad, now I really want to!

Cheers for the continued feedback, it looks like im going for it anyway! I'll be kicking myself come next summer if I dont I think. It'll be an experience if nothing else! :eek:

Ah you won't be sorry. I dealt with Ann O Mahoney for going over to Germany, she couldn't have been more helpful really. I think typically more students seem to head over to France and they were really looking for more people to go to Germany, so it worked out perfectly for us!

Her office is around the corner from the medical centre as far as I remember!

Scabby, did you have a strong grasp of the German language before heading out? I have a veeery small amount of German so far, just a bit learned in the Year one elective, planning to get grinds this year.. but how much did you have going over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Defo go for it...

I was a comp eng person years ago in UL and my co-op turned out to be one of the best times... ever... honestly.... abroad working for money, no commitements no long time worries, you know your going back to study...

Works on so many levels that I don't understand why anyone would question it...

1) Its not ireland
    2) Meet pretty different people
    3) Its not ireland
    4) Looks good on CV
    5) Its not ireland
    6) Can travel around from new place of work at weekends to see even more new places etc..
    7) The weather is either better (sun) or worse (snow) so you have best of ever world... might even witness this special thing other countries have called "seasons"

:)

etc..

ScabbyLeg wrote:
    you'll be earning less than you would in Ireland- but you'll be eligible for the Leonardo grant through UL which makes up for it.

What? Are you mad? Back in 2000 when I was on co-op I was getting 300 punts per week, my underground travel monthly tickets paid for. That was more than anyone else I knew of. Friends in Ireland were earning around the 200 punts mark. Factor that money into Euros and add on a bit for inflation to bring it to 2006 levels and you'll see it was heaps and heaps of cash. I never heard about the Leonardo grant.

Basically I came back from Germany totally minted, enough money to pay for Plassey for the next year and to get a J1 Visa and pay for flights to New York the next summer.

Why do you think that co-op abroad is going to pay less? In my opinion and my experience working abroad will pay more because they are actually taking you out of your home country and being a pain in the arse to you! (what they think). Your flights out there will be paid for as well, and if you push them they may pay for flights home for you every few months if that is what you want.

Its deadly! Go for it!

BossArky wrote:
    What? Are you mad?

Just speaking from my own experience really! I was out there this time last year and the lads back home would have been earning over double what I was being paid, although not including the Leonardo da Vinci grant (which almost balances things out). I got the impression that it was the norm to get less on the continent, in particular with the bigger companies that take on lots of interns and are kind of 'doing you a favour' by giving you experience with a big name. I think all the lads in France found the same thing. We met a good few unpaid interns just going it for the experience on the CV I guess. Oh yeah- in our case they stopped paying for flights a few years before we went, but the grant covered those instead.
    Anyway my point was that that shouldn't be any reason to put you off going! This Leonardo grant really takes care of you financially.

About the German, Hotnipples- well I had done it for the Leaving, and did the modules in first year, but at the time I never expected to ever have to use it, so my German was pretty rubbish! I was pretty unconfident going out there, but everything was fine. The Germans were only too delighted to help out in English and we were always given the choice at work, and being stupid and lazy, (and I absolutely regret it) I used a lot of English at work. But you'll pick up the everyday stuff you need to know in no time at all.

If you do get the grinds then it'll help you out for sure, speed things up and all that! Obviously I was lucky in work but either way you'd learn out of necessity, and they're fully aware that you're not a native speaker when they hire you :)

If you have any questions let me know! All this talk of it has me wanting to go back as soon as possible! :D

And yep aloleary hit the nail on the head up there I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

BossArky wrote:
    Why do you think that co-op abroad is going to pay less? In my opinion and my experience working abroad will pay more because they are actually taking you out of your home country and being a pain in the arse to you! (what they think). Your flights out there will be paid for as well, and if you push them they may pay for flights home for you every few months if that is what you want.

Thats certainly not the case for all foreign placements. It probably differs from country to country.

I'm on placement in Tokyo at the moment and the attitude to interns here is much different. I'm working with an Irish company so I was able to negotiate with them a little. Basically they paid for my flights out and also pay me a similar wage (yen equivalent) to the wages paid to their placement students in Ireland. Rent is not included (7.3m sq. room for 500euro p.m!) but they do contribute towards commute costs. And of course being located outside the comfort zone of the EU we are not eligible for those lovely Leonardo grants!

However some other UL students who I know and who have worked with Japanese companies have had to pay for their own flights (and to Japan that can be quite a bit), and work for salaries far less than they would get at home. Couple that with the relatively high cost of living here and we certainly wont be coming back 'loaded'. Its ingrained in the Japanese culture here that the company is doing a favour to their interns by giving them experience for free. The opportunity to get internships also fell sharply when the economy stagnated in the late 90's.

But as I said earlier I dont think co-ops are about earning money. Working in Tokyo has been one of the most important experiences in my life. Being completely detatched from my comfortable Irish life for 7 months (quick weekends home, ya right!) and living in a different environment has forced me to develop as a person and I'm sure I'm better off because of it.

Dont be shallow enough to let your decision be swayed by salary issues, you'll have your entire working life to be a slave to the wage.

Just another question, how much effort and detail did you guys put into your CV's and cover letters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hotnipples wrote:
    Just another question, how much effort and detail did you guys put into your CV's and cover letters?

Good question.

I too would like to know. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote:
    *pile of shit*

Lol it's fun pulling up a mod :)

If you read hotnipples post it referred to a CV and cover letter not a Co-op report. Now I'd better get back to work.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

BossArky wrote:
    What? Are you mad? Back in 2000 when I was on co-op I was getting 300 punts per week

One of my friends got 300 euros *a month* working in Airbus in france. Apparently your doing the company a favour working for them, so tehy dont pay you much.

She started hitting me when I said I earned more then that a week up in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Just finished my placement with the civil service in Dublin, earned about €450 a week after tax and deductions, which is a pretty sweet wage, but when you factor in the *majorly high* cost of living in Dublin, it works out about the same as the student getting €300/week but living in, say, Limerick.

OP, get out of this country for co-op!!! It's an opportunity not to be missed! Seriously, you'd regret it if you don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Peteee wrote:
    One of my friends got 300 euros *a month* working in Airbus in france. Apparently your doing the company a favour working for them, so tehy dont pay you much.

I can do one better. I'm not getting paid at all. Apparently it's the norm in the media sector but it's still fairly ****. At least I'll be living at home rent free and all that.

Advertisement