Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trading in against a lower value car...

Options
  • 13-08-2006 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Will garages take a higher value car in against a lower value one? I doubt they like paying out to take in a car so would they give you a straight swap or what?

Anyone have any experience with doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I was offered 1500 € recently by a main dealer for my 99 Jimny in exchange for a 96 Passat Diesel estate (with low mileage).

The Passat was pretty knackered though ...hence I passed on the offer.

Over all I'd say it would be a very unlikely scenario and even more unlikely that you'd end up with a good deal.

You're probably better off selling your "expensive " vehicle privately first and then go shopping again with cash in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its a "they win you lose" situation tbh, they'll knock the sh*t out of the value of your car and put down for everything, paintwork, tyres, servicing, valeting etc., you'll never realise there was so much wrong with your car when they're finished with it. The best advice is to sell your car privately and buy the other car for cash and get the best discount you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

You'll get a terrible deal. Why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

sell private and buy private if it's a low risk situation (ie reasonably new/ low mileage)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It goes without saying that the objective of any garage or dealer is to take cash in and not hand it out. If you do manage to get money from them then you can be sure that it will be nothing like what you would have gotten with a private sale. I'll echo what others have posted - forget the dealer and sell you car privately. Why pass on the oppourtunity to realise more cash for your car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Its not a very high priced car, 01 206 gti. Average price on carzone would be 8-9k but I'm thinking of getting somethin older like a 95 Mr2 Turbo. I guess I should just drop into a few places and see what trade in I would get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Why not just give some money to charity if you don't want it? :confused:

Of course I don't want to lose much money. The ideal solution would be a straight swap for a car advertised at €8k if a dealer would do that.

I don't have 7/8k that I can buy a new car with and sit around waiting for the old one to sell so trade in is easiest option. I won't be looking to swap for another 2/3 months so I intend to pay off as much of my current loan as possible by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Try selling your car untill then, you can always buy a banger untill you find your right car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

if average price is 8/9 they'll still probably only offer you 5/6 for it. So I wouldn't be going on what the car is worth. Here's an example from Merlin car auctions of some of the cars sold last month... this is what the garages can get them for, why would they give you more!
    pugcarsoj6.jpg

• Advertisement

Well all those cars you listed are 1.1 or 1.4 economy models. Mine is a 2litre Gti, so its not exactly comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Where did you get the auction results, steve06?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

If you don't mind me asking why are you trading the GTI in so soon?

I got bored of it already :D That said I drove over and back to Naas today on the twisty roads and it was great fun. I might keep it another 6 months and then trade up to a 200sx or something. I fancy something rwd and turbo'd :) You can sign up to have merlin email you monthlt reports too.

mloc123 wrote:
    Well all those cars you listed are 1.1 or 1.4 economy models. Mine is a 2litre Gti, so its not exactly comparing like with like.
    no but it shows the depreciation, especially in a french car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mloc123 wrote:

Look at the last one again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

unkel wrote:
    Where did you get the auction results, steve06?

testicle wrote:
    Look at the last one again...

Its a 2litre diesel, your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

testicle wrote:

Cheers!

look we all know it's a different varient but it's a 04 and yours is a 01 and it doesn't mean yours is worth a lot more because it's agti. It really depends on how desirable your car is to the market. A dealer doesn't want a car that will sit on the lot for long and a punter doesn't want to pay throught the roof for an old car with high insurance because of the GTI badge. Here are 2 GTI's from 01

€7,800
    €10,500

big price difference and they've probably been there for a while.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:

I went to see that one when I was buying mine and it will be there forever, lol.
    It had been crashed on the front driver side, panel gaps were a joke. The boot was also out of line with the rear quater panels and all around the sunroof was rusted. No service history either. Was a waste of my time going to look.

I'm not saying I expect to get an 8k trade in on it, just wondering how it works if I trade it in againts a 5k car etc.. Decided to keep it anyway and trade in in againts a newer silvia in a few months.

Advertisement