Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking Heads

Options
  • 13-08-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Fear Of Music.

What's your favourite Talking Heads LP? 21 votes

Talking Heads: 77
    0%
    More Songs About Buildings And Food
    4%
    Lainabaina 1 vote
    Fear Of Music
    23%
    Miguel_SanchezloyatemuRE*AC*TORJohnny Jukeboxdelta_bravo 5 votes
    Remain In Light
    33%
    mike65DerekD GoldfishAltheusnlgbbbblthJohnAndy-Pandythesweeney 7 votes
    Speaking In Tongues
    23%
    Lunar JunkiePunchbowlparasitemagpieBlue Taurus 5 votes
    Little Creatures
    9%
    BodhidharmaLines 2 votes
    True Stories
    0%
    Naked
    4%
    Brian Capture 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remain In Light
    Fear of Music gets my vote too. Every song a delightful mystery. The imput by Eno clearly bumped the Heads up by several notches.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Fear Of Music
    eno was involved with "More songs..." as well, and that's got my vote, but only because "The name of this band is Talking Heads" isn't listed - one of the greatest live albums of all time.

their first 4 albums are all absolute classics, very difficult to choose between them. "True Stories" and "Naked" are fairly weak, and i haven't heard the other 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Remain In Light
    Hmmmm that a point neither live album is included. "...Name of this Band..." is indeed a classic, esp the way it splits the bands history up to 1981 into 4 distinct phases of songs and musicianship/presentation. I have both versions the first is maybe the better as its more "compact".

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

Speaking In Tongues
    I can't really pick between Remain In Light, Fear Of Music and More Songs.. The remasters they did recently are excellent, Remain In Light especially I think sounds a lot better than the old CD release (which I'd lost recently anyway, so it was handy enough that they reissued it). Speaking In Tongues has great tunes but they're better performed on the Stop Making Sense video\album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Fear Of Music
    It's a toss up between More Songs and Fear of Music for me but I think I'm going to go for More Songs.

Damn I love Talking Heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Speaking In Tongues
    Fear of Music better than Remain in Light? Hmmm - but at least the Eno-produced stuff is in its rightful place at the top. Personally Remain in Light clinches it for me because of Born Under Punches. And the cover rules.

Now, hum along with me - boing! wibble-wibble-kadunga bop-bop! etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Remain In Light
    I don't like including live albums or compilations in these polls as they invariably have an unfair advantage.

That said
    The Name Of The Band Is Talking Heads is an excellent document of the band's first four years. The CD version that finally emerged in 2004 is great as it has the complete Remain In Light tour tracklist. My double vinyl pressing had received savage airplay over the years so it needed A Clean Break.

Stop Making Sense is a goodie too. Again it's expanded from nine tracks to 16 - although the original LP was pretty powerful in its delivery. The cheer that we hear at the end of Once In A Lifetime (just before the applause) sends shivers down my spine even now, 22 years after first hearing the album. There's something so primal about it.

The last three LPs are undoubtedly weaker than what came before. Little Creatures is the strongest of the trio with True Stories just edging out Naked (which got 9.68 out of 10 from the NME upon release in February 1988).

I read that Rhino Handmade will be bringing out an expanded True Stories with all the songs from the movie sung by the actors in addition to the regular LP. Will be worth a purchase.

The eight remasters, CD + DVD, are ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Fear Of Music
    More Songs... all the way. Perfect balance of weirdness and ingenuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Fear Of Music
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Stop Making Sense is a goodie too. Again it's expanded from nine tracks to 16 - although the original LP was pretty powerful in its delivery. The cheer that we hear at the end of Once In A Lifetime (just before the applause) sends shivers down my spine even now, 22 years after first hearing the album. There's something so primal about it.

I think Stop Making Sense benefits from being watched too cause that concert video is the best ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Remain In Light
    invariably the question arises

What do you think of people who have never heard of Talking Heads?

Came across a couple at work last week. Early 20s. Never heard of Talking Heads, Kraftwerk or Nick Cave.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Fear Of Music
    I can understand people not having heard of Kraftwerk and Nick Cave. Talking Heads made much more of an impact on the mainstream than the other two. They may not know the name "Talking Heads", but they probably know some of the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesweeney

Remain In Light
    Fear of music without a doubt

Advertisement