Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nothing Decent About for 3-3.5K

Options
  • 13-08-2006 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

finally got my loan of 5k from the bank, grand i thought 1500 for the deposit for the ins and the rest for the motor,

was thinking of a civic lancer almera under 3k i thought piece of piss looked in the b&s and carzone.ie, auto trader, cbg and all the cars i wanted were all either ex-taxi's (almeras) civic's (halfords on wheels) lancer's (again halfords on wheels) or were in ****e, i know there is a good car about but its very very frustrating when people waste your time bringing you out to look at a car thats in ****e and the owners name is either Anto, Deco, Steo, and have the hat at 45 degrees, any other ideas on where to look for these types of cars.

Thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

So you have 3.5k and you want something decent?

The answer is in the question I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

go over to england and bring back a bmw:D

or get a nice honda civic coupe, for 3.5/4k whatever thats in sterling should get a 'decent' motor, but then figure in the vrt so maybe another meeting with mr bank manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

my insurance company would love that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭maidhc

You will get something alright, just a matter of staying at it. Try the small out of town garages, keep at the buyandsell, let people know you are interested in something.

Don't expect to find something in the next week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You'll definitely get something decent for that money. But it depends what "decent" means to you. Assuming you're wiser than the rest of the "keep it up in the years" gang, there are plenty of nice cars around for even cheaper.

Firstly, don't be afraid to travel. Lots of people won't, so gems are languishing in rural areas. Ask as many questions as you can think of, and make sure you say " I'm travelling a distance, what will I find wrong with it when I get there, assuming i won't be in the humour for nasty surprises?". They tend to get very honest then, know ing you'll be miffed if they've wasted your journey.

A friend of mine picked upa SPOTLESS 1.2 Corsa, 1996, 50K genuine miles from a neighbour for less than 1500 quid. I got a carina E a few years ago, in wexford for a shade over 2 grand, which was buttons at the time.

Don't give up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

How about a a VW corrado? There are usually 1.8l ones for sale for about that price. There is a VR6 2.9L (190bhp) for sale for 4.5k but its in the north. Still, worth keeping an eye out for. The G60 is a supercharged 1.8 (160bhp) and is cheaper to insure and tax than the VR6.
    http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_search?country=IE&sort=5&currency=GBP&make=Volkswagen&model=Corrado&min_pr=&max_pr=&county_list=1_2_8_9_17_27&x=43&y=12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You'll be doing VERY well indeed to pick up a nice Corrado for 3.5k Esskay.

Big Balls wrote:
    You'll be doing VERY well indeed to pick up a nice Corrado for 3.5k Esskay.

Here´s a 2L for 3900 :) There´s ALWAYS room for bargaining. They have been going up in price for the last year alright.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=506572&ID=778936&NumPics=0&Make=VW&Model=Corrado&frmFilter=

Definately a nice car to get, and it won't depreciate any more either.

maidhc wrote:
    Definately a nice car to get, and it won't depreciate any more either.

I have a G60 and I love it. Will never sell it, will drive it till it drives no more

• Advertisement

A corrado!? nah max engine is 1.5 for insurance and a 4 door saloon, dont really like the 323.

-VB-

There is a person on adverts.ie selling a Hyundai Accent with low mileage for your money. I know it may not impress the BMW/Alfa brigade, but you can hardly go too far wrong with something like it.

never liked the shape of the 90's accent always reminded me of a soft mint for some bizzare reason.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Bad time of the year to be looking for a car tbh, there's nothing happening in the car sales business until the middle of September at least. Try some of the main dealers though, you might get a trade car needing a bit of work at the right price. (Or should I say a "sold as seen "car before I start another argument, oh, and by the way don't buy an Alfa, VW or a Fiat.;) :D )

I would of thought the opposite was true what with the SSIA's being matured and people buying new cars an not to pushed to get the top whack for thier cars.

-VB-

Most of SSAI people are paying off their credit cards or gone on holidays and a lot of them won't be getting their money until next year anyway so I'll repeat my previous post ....there's nothing happening until mid-September at least.:rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=363205

150bhp 0-60 8.8 secs. Lowered, stiffened, decent sports seats from the factory, gret handling and steering for a fwd. No one really is aware of them, so won't get nicked and insurance isn't too bad. Only downside is heavy on juice in traffic, and eat control arm bushings, same as all Primera's.

Damn!

Do you know of any damaged car sites that are for sale besides Damagedcarsales.com or delanyautos.com.?

-VB-

Bluecycle, you have to register but forget it unless you can fix it yourself.

yea i can i'm in the trade (Panel Beater). heard or Bluecycle but dont ya have to have premises to register so that they know your in the trade or is there a way around it?

-VB-

• Advertisement

I personally wouldn't support the b**tards coming over here from the U.K. and f**king up the whole crashed car network,with the help of the insurance companies I might add, so I didn't register. Keep an eye out in the auto salvage section of the Auto trader, there's always something there but you have to be quick. Did you try Merlin car auctions? there's always something there in one shape or another, pardon the pun.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭[V3]

junkyard wrote:
    ...there's nothing happening until mid-September at least.:rolleyes: :)

Whats happening in mid-September?

People are back to work etc., and more focused on changing their cars and ex-rentals are back in and up for sale at good prices so garages have more selection to sell and are egar to deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

would you not get that Carina you wanted. You'd probably get a 97 SLi for 2k and spend the rest on tax and insurance and maybe a decent stereo as there won't have been a standard CD player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

to OP

What about something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=411721

00 reg, you can fix the scratch yourself, and do the timing belt and head gasket (for your own peace of mind). You will still have change out of your 3,500.
    Might not be your cup of tea though.:)

Just said I'd point it out though.

gyppo wrote:
    to OP

What about something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=411721

00 reg, you can fix the scratch yourself, and do the timing belt and head gasket (for your own peace of mind). You will still have change out of your 3,500.
    Might not be your cup of tea though.:)

Just said I'd point it out though.

This Rover thing is a joke, right? Everyone knows they're crap even Rover who don't make anything anymore, not even excuses.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I don't know why you wouldn't be able to find something great for 3.5k. Maybe you're just trying to buy something too new?
    I can think of lots of cars I'd like to get for 3.5k, performance ones too. Only thing is they'd be mostly from the early 90s. That wouldn't bother me though (I don't like pretty much all cars made in the last 10 years) but I think most people prefer to pay for a plate that says at least 00 on it. :)

My best smiles per £ I think was a car I bought for £350. I had a 0 to 60 drag race with an '05 Porsche Cayenne S (on a private road btw) and it was a dead heat. It was incredibly statisfying thinking £350 versus however many £££££ the Porsche cost and how totally gutted he was :D

I think you just need to keep looking, and remember that when you're buying it's you that has the upper hand. Why did you get a loan before knowing what it is you want to get btw? You said the loan took ages to come through, could you not have put aside a bit every month to get to 3.5k instead of waiting for a loan for that amount to come through? Not trying to get at you btw, just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

junkyard wrote:
    This Rover thing is a joke, right? Everyone knows they're crap even Rover who don't make anything anymore, not even excuses.:D

:D:D
    I said it might not be everyones cup of tea.
    Still though, for what the OP has to spend, and the fact that he wants to remain under 1500cc, his choices are quite limited.
    I'll agree that these were never going to be the best car out there, but where else will he get as new a car for the money. Head gaskets go on these regularly, so coolant levels need to be watched very regularly. For cheap a-2-b transport, they're ok.

But - if it were me, I'd try and get a few more pound together.

His best option is in the B&S, but he'll have to kiss a lot of frogs before he gets what he wants.:D

just got off the bell to a fella in glasneven, he has a 1999 nissan almera 52k all elec nct till 11/7 s/r a/b 1.4 manual saloon for 3k and he will accept 2.5k:eek:, im going to see it tomorro nite, only thing is it hasnt been serviced since last year (late) and it has two dents in it and tax is up at the end of the month, not too bad me thinks and most of the work i can do myself. what do yas think?

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I would have thought you'd got something more interesting. But as means to get from A-B I'm sure it would be ok. Once you get someone reliable to check it out.

Advertisement