Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

whats 110Kw in Bhp?

Options
  • 12-08-2006 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

I've a handy little program that handles loads of conversions - it reckons 110kw = 147.5124 horsepower. Though it doesnt' define what type of horsepower.

Does that sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Multiply by 1.36, makes 149.6, call it 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, my 1.36 conversion gives you PS, pferdestaerke, meaning horse power in German. There may be some slight difference between PS, HP and BHP, but I can't imagine it as being any greater than the variation in output between individual engines. (especially ones that aren't brand spanking new)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

My uncle has a 2.0L turbo diesel tucson which is 110Bhp. Hes looking at getting the new model Santa Fe which has a new engine. Its a 2.2l turbo diesel engine which has 110kw, the brochure had 150ps beside this kw figure.

We were thinking the 2.2 would be more around 130Bhp, didnt think it`d be as high as 150bhp but as ye say it mightnt be a correct version of bhp.
    We it had it out on demo while the tucson was in being serviced and it sank you back in the seat so it is fast-ish alright. Hmmmmmmmm:)

Anyone got an opinion on the new Santa Fe, and no it wont be used on the school run. :rolleyes: Ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

BHP and PS are almost the same.

BHP = PS divided by 1.01387 so 150 ps = 147.9 ish bhp

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

PS are measures the power output on the crankshaft
    BHP (BRAKE horse power) is measured on the brakes of the driven wheels. Therefore it's slightly less than PS because of losses down the drivetrain.

But according to EU directive xyx/123/1998 its all superfluous anyway ...everything is supposed to be measured in Kilowatts.

Me I'm old fashoined ..I can think in PS only ...Watts are for hairdryers and vacuum cleaners ...Kilo or otherwise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

peasant wrote:
    PS are measures the power output on the crankshaft
    BHP (BRAKE horse power) is measured on the brakes of the driven wheels. Therefore it's slightly less than PS because of losses down the drivetrain.

that cannot be right, the loss through drive train is usually 15% on a 2wd and about 30% on a 4wd so there would be a much bigger difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Yeah was thinking that too Mloc. I often wondered though if the difference between brake horsepower and horsepower was that one was at the wheels and the other was at the flywheel (or crank)? You would think that maybe brake horsepower would be at the wheels yet I have seen many figures given that I know are flywheel numbers and it says BHP (PS DIN): xxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ...I could be wrong ...it's just something I heard or read somewhere and believed to be true.

On the other hand 15% power loss through the drivetrain sounds like an awful lot ...where does it all go?

15% of 100 PS is 15 PS ... thats roughly the power of two scooters or a big ride-on lawn mower. All of that power is supposed to disappear in the nuts and bolts and bearings of the drivetrain ??

Your gearbox would be red hot :D

I'm off to pull the small motorbike out of the drivetrain of my 4x4 now ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

15% is about right, just found this on google..

"So, what about the 15%-manual and 20% automatic? Well, they are good places to start. Some transmissions are more efficient than others and some rear ends are more efficient than others. In the end, none of this matters as wheel horsepower is what is actually used. You will find the heavier the transmission parts (gears, shafts, etc.) the more power they will take. I have seen engine dyno comparisons to rear wheel and you typically see 15-17% for manual transmissions and 20-25% for automatics. How much does your transmission take? Take the basic values 15 and 20 percent and consider the following."

Companies always quote the power at the flywheel as it is much higher than at the wheels. Rolling road figures are measured at the wheel and then corrected by adding an a certain percentage on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think wikipedia has it right:

Brake horsepower (bhp)

Brake horsepower (bhp) is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump and other auxiliaries. The actual horsepower delivered to the driving wheels is less. An engine would have to be retested to obtain a rating in another system. The term "brake" refers to the use of a band brake to measure torque during the test (which is multiplied by the engine speed in revs/sec and the circumference of the band to give the power).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Nuttzy wrote:
    My uncle has a 2.0L turbo diesel tucson which is 110Bhp. Hes looking at getting the new model Santa Fe which has a new engine. Its a 2.2l turbo diesel engine which has 110kw, the brochure had 150ps beside this kw figure.

We were thinking the 2.2 would be more around 130Bhp, didnt think it`d be as high as 150bhp but as ye say it mightnt be a correct version of bhp.
    We it had it out on demo while the tucson was in being serviced and it sank you back in the seat so it is fast-ish alright. Hmmmmmmmm:)

Anyone got an opinion on the new Santa Fe, and no it wont be used on the school run. :rolleyes: Ha ha.

How much does it weigh though?

Advertisement