Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw

Options
  • 12-08-2006 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Is the BMW 5 Series the best car in its class or do any competitors come close?

Is the BMW 3 Series the best car in its class or do any competitors come close ie Audi A4 or Jaguare X Type??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Depends what you mean by the best car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

As far as I'm concerned the E39 BMW 5 series was one of the best build cars ever. I had a 530i, a 530d touring, a 525i and I still have an M5 which is probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. I don't like the styling of the new 5 series so I wouldn't consider buying one.
    I've owned many 3 series BMWs over the years but found them a bit cramped tbh. I don't like the new one either so I won't be buying one of those either, in fact the only BMWs I would consider buying are the 6 series or the 7 series, I don't like the new styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

even the rear of the 6 series is not to my liking...

the only BMW I would consider now would be an X5....

I'm not sure bout the current range lineup, but definitely the E39 was the best car in its class for 7 years....no doubt about that

I would say the 3 series is probably best in that class but not as much as it used to be. It has serious competition from Audi, Honda, Lexus and the slightly improved Alfa (flame suit on), but still seems to be above the rest.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think before people are accused of being biased, the E39 BMW was largely considered the best car in its class by motoring journos. For only the last year of its sales life the E39 did not get the credit whihc went to the new Merc.
    When the E60 5er came out it took the title back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I have just bought a new e60 520d (following on from Nissan 350z, BMW 318i, Hyundai Coupe, Mits Colt..) and I must say it ticks all the boxes. I h ave the M-sport pack and visually I think it needs this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

the only cars of that hit the mark straight away are the avensis/ mondeo/ vectra types. we always think 'maybe it'll be different this time'. they never are. the ones with the lasting power are the ones which need a little growing into. i think the current BMW and Mercs conform to this theory. audis are fwd for the most part and the most common models (ie bottom of the range) are bland at best. new IS is pretty cool
    a little blind faith and enjoy......

At the rate BMW are going I doubt I'll ever buy another one, I'll probably put the M5 away for special occasions and run the X5 into the ground. As regards replacements when the time is due I'd probably turn to Subaru. I think they could really get in on the act if they upgraded their interiors, they really are a super car in every respect. I certainly wouldn't buy a Mercedes either they're gone down the tubes too as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kbannon wrote:
    the E39 BMW was largely considered the best car in its class by motoring journos. For only the last year of its sales life the E39 did not get the credit whihc went to the new Merc.
    When the E60 5er came out it took the title back again.

I was going to talk Lex down from 7 to 6 years on the E39, but you beat me to it. Although "Best Car" is not defined in the same way by everyone

For some it comes down to the best audio system and the greatest reliability. Others value the superior styling of the brushed aluminium interior. And so on and on...

I know a guy who religously had 2 or 3 E39's in their 7 yrs and when he got his recent one in 2003, he said he wouldn't be buying another 5 series because he didn't like the new model and would go for the E class instead.

However, since then, the 5 series has grown on him and I have actually started to like it, but as Bazman says, the M-pack really makes it better, as it did with the E39. And with Mercs reliabilty not really up to scratch I can see him prob opting for an E60...who knows?

I'd certainly choose one before the Merc.

I'm in agreement with Junkyard though...once I run the E39 into the ground or at least put another 40k miles on it, if Subaru have improved their interiors and possibly introduce a diesel, I'll be looking in that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A BMW may or may not be the "best" car in any given segment (and on the 1-series I very much doubt that), but put what you get (or rather not get at list price) into relation to the price and then compare with other cars in the same segment and the question needs to be asked: "Is it really THAT MUCH better ?"

The best thing about BMW still is their marketing and brand imageing ...and the very healthy profits they are making from it

I would concede that the 5-series (especially with the bigger engines) probably is the best car allround ...but I would suspect that it is something of a loss leader. Good for those who can afford to buy, own and run one.

But I feel sorry for the masses who can't and buy into the BMW myth at the bottom of the rung with a poverty spec, underpowered base model 3- Series or 1- Series.

Because it's THEM who subsidise the excellent 5-Series and get to drive a mediocre, ridiculously overpriced car for the priviledge.

And BMW are laughing all the way to the bank

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:
    Because it's THEM who subsidise the excellent 5-Series and get to drive a mediocre, ridiculously overpriced car for the priviledge.
    I disgaree....we have a 9yr old 5 series with over 125k on the clock. Probably worth about 6-7k...maybe.

I've been in 3 yr old Passats/Avensis that wouldn't be as comfortable to drive or feel as solid and would cost more than double the price.

These cars are built to last a long time and still provide top end comfort years after some cars are fit for the scrap heap if well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

In terms of comfort, reliability and performance Subaru stands up very well to Mercedes and BMW, the latter two screw drivers for image, running and servicing costs.

Having had all three, I'm pretty sure I'll never drive the Hedgehog brand again, but wouldn't rule out another phase with the Pointed Star.

Still the Stars from the East get better, a diesel powered Subaru is probably another 3-5 years away.

Still the Stars from the East get better, a diesel powered Subaru is probably another 3-5 years away.

And worth waiting for by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

Lex Luthor wrote:
    These cars are built to last a long time and still provide top end comfort years after some cars are fit for the scrap heap if well maintained.

Sometimes this is because most of your average Fords/Nissans/Toyota/VWs are driven and looked after for a few years, then sold on down along the food chain to less caring folk who treat them with the same respect as a shovel. On the other hand many people who buy a BMW either new or secondhand tend to keep it and look after it to a far better standard.

I don't think the number of well kept old bmws is a reflection on the car as much as the attitude of the owners... although obviously they need to be pretty good to stay going in the first place.

I heard a little sooner than that...more like next 18-24 months which is roughly when I'll be moving on the BMW

Advertisement