Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car newb...

Options
  • 12-08-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

well, I've was planning on getting myself behind the wheel lately, and now, what i think might be the perfect opportunity has come up.

A guy in work is looking to sell his VW Polo. It's a 96 1.0 3 door with only 56k on the clock and he says (and i trust), that it's in immaculate condition. He's looking for around 1800 for it, as he bought it off friends of his for 2000 less than a year ago. Only con is there's no power steering. Not sure about other details. I should be getting a look at it tomorrow, but to me, this seems like a good deal for a first car. What i want to know is:

Is it actually a good deal (assuming the car is in as great nick as he says)?

Is no power steering that much of a draw back?

What should i check out when looking at it?

Should i get a mechanic to check it out too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

For stuff to look out for check this thread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It sounds a little expensive to me. If he paid €2,000 a year ago, then I'd have thought he'd be happy to get €1,500 back now. Polos are a tough little car, although not in my opinion as great as their reputation would imply. I wouldn't worry about the lack of power steering - if you've never had it then you won't miss it. If you're not sure what you're doing then you should definitely have a mechanic give it the once-over. If you can bring the car to the mechanic then it'll be much cheaper. Any more questions, feel free..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He paid €2,000 for it, has it almost a year and expects to get €1,800 for it now! Very unlikely imo.

If the car is indeed in great condition and a mechanic gives it the thumbs up then offer him €1,300 for it, go to €1,500 tops. It still only cost him €500 to drive it for a year which is nothing. Don't be put off if he doesn't budge, there are plenty of these cars out there within your budget so don't pay over the odds for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Yea, i was thinking along those lines. That said, anywhere else I've seen them, they've been +2000. And of course, I'd much prefare to buy off someone I know in some way.

edit; thinking about it, getting 1500 back on a car you paid 2 grand is fairly good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

TimAy wrote:
    Yea, i was thinking along those lines. That said, anywhere else I've seen them, they've been +2000. And of course, I'd much prefare to buy off someone I know in some way.

edit; thinking about it, getting 1500 back on a car you paid 2 grand is fairly good going.

Make him an offer be realistic, 1500 sounds resonable for that car, but try haggle him down abit. The power steering would help alot and your arms will be tired after long journeys, but the women will love the muscles . :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I am buying one myself very soon and am also worried about no power steering...is it really tough to drive a hatchback without it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

IMO not a good car to learn to drive in. small cars are hard to drive. go for something bigger. only marginally more expensive to run. much cheaper to buy, more comfortable (for those long "learning to drive" runs) and usually more kit. (what car has no p/s these days?).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote:
    If the car is indeed in great condition and a mechanic gives it the thumbs up then offer him €1,300 for it, go to €1,500 tops

That would be my strategy too, or even stretch a wee bit further
    Elessar wrote:
    am also worried about no power steering...is it really tough to drive a hatchback without it??

No it isn't. A decade ago only higher end cars had PS and everyone got on fine without PS. Including petite women / girls

Advertisement