Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum age for sex

Options
  • 12-08-2006 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, sorry if this shouldnt be posted here. My younger brother is 18 and is seeing a girl age 16. They havent slept together, or so he says, but I was wondering what the legal age of sex is? Growing up I was always told it was 16, but a few people I know say its 17. Anybody got any ideas? I dont want him getting into any trouble.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 justafriend?

The legal age of consent in Ireland is 17 this was recenty confirmed in the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2006.... there is quite a bit of confusion/urban mythology stuff over this as it is 16 in the UK

There had been some talk about reducing it to 16 here also... but in the aftermath of the "A Case" it was necessary to introduce legislation very quickly.

If your brother had sex with a 16 year old girl - especially knowing her to be 16 he would have broken the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

He would have broken the law, but he would not be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Dampsquid wrote:
    He would have broken the law, but he would not be prosecuted.

Thats dangerous advice to give out unless you know for certain.

Do you?

What are your qualifications for saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 justafriend?

I agree with Secret Squirel... thats a very difinitive statement to make.

As far as i am aware .... and i am not at all sure of the exact workings of it..... there is a general policy on the part of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) not to prosecute in such circumstances - (this is without knowledge of any of the facts of this particular case).

Though perhaps this thread should more properly be placed in the Legal Discussion Forum....? You would probably get more reliable responses to this query there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Though perhaps this thread should more properly be placed in the Legal Discussion Forum....? You would probably get more reliable responses to this query there.
    I agree. Although the OP is unregistered the need to move it there is greater imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daveirl wrote:
    Thats not your call to make. Thats for the DPP and a judge and jury.

The law would be broken, he could go to jail, but as I understand it, he would not be listed as a sex offender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

Advertisement