Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing speedo dial to km on E46 BMW

Options
  • 11-08-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this, and if so, where did you get the dials from. I have found some online for the E36, but i think they will block the trip computer.

Also is it an easy job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Contact Peter in Logic Automotive dont have the phone number to hand
    but he did a lot of these conversions during the KPH change over .
    They are based out near Newcastle in dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭ffocused

Thank you, i will call him on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sounds like a lot of expense for no reason. Why apart from teh obvious reason do you want it done? Can't imagine it would be cheap

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

didn't know it could be done!! Lex i think it's a great idea. the mph are smaller and hard to see. Time to start thinking in KPH full time!

Anyone know will they actually look like the original.

Wouldn't pay a fortune for it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Can't Joe Duffy not provide you with the the kph bmw inserts that goes in over the old one mph. Looks exactly the same as the new Irish cars and avoids the expensive procedure of changing the entire speedo-clock. Should be only 80 euro plus labour so make that 200 euro or so.

• Advertisement

I rang Conlans in Rathangan and was told i would have to replace the whole instrument cluster, which would cost 720 + vat

ffocused wrote:
    I rang Conlans in Rathangan and was told i would have to replace the whole instrument cluster, which would cost 720 + vat
    as I thought....I can't imagine it would be a cheap conversion..not worth the money IMO. You won't get it back if you sell. Can you not live with the mph until you eventually exchange for a newer car with kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

so does anyone think that a new car imported from uk with mph will have a lower resale due to the speedo format?? i guess this seems to be the only real issue with importing these days.

Darando wrote:
    so does anyone think that a new car imported from uk with mph will have a lower resale due to the speedo format?? i guess this seems to be the only real issue with importing these days.
    it will depend if the NCT rules specifically state that any cars after the cut-off period that kph was introduced, that the gauges should be in kph. I can see it coming...watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

How difficult is it to drive with mph? Sheesh. My bike has mph, I know that 30 is 50, 40 is 60, 50 is 80, 60 is 100, 70 is 120. They're approximate figures, but they're all you need. It's not difficult at all.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    as I thought....I can't imagine it would be a cheap conversion..not worth the money IMO. You won't get it back if you sell. Can you not live with the mph until you eventually exchange for a newer car with kph?

I am trading a 05 focus for the BMW and am now used to the KPH dials.

the whole instrument cluster does not have to be replaced to change the dials, you just cannot get the part seperately which is a common problem with main dealers. eg if your wing mirror glass is smashed, you may have to get a whole mirror housing too. (This happened me a few years ago with a Hyundai)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Do the KPH dials have MPH in small figures?

I have never seen any that do, but some cars may.

Advertisement