Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full M50 tolls

Options
  • 11-08-2006 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

The entire m50 is to be tolled from 2008...including Lucan to sandyford using electronic tolling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Whats the source for this info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

It was mentioned by that idiot minister for transport, on an RTE news report a few months back.... and he accused people of getting a little hysterical over the future plans. If they implement that, I'd be sick to my stomach.
    I live in Lucan, and use the M50 frequently. Also not far from the proposed Outer Ring road through Lucan. Tolling the M50 would force more traffic on to the outer ring road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its been bloody obvious to those of us who took the time to think about it that the entire M50 would be tolled at some point. Look at the number of cars who use the M50 each day but don't pass through the toll bridge (i.e. Blanch to the M1 and Lucan to Bray) and thus "cheat" the exchequer out of money.

The politicos let the "get rid of the toll plaza" rant reach deafening proportions and then they say right lads, we'll do what ye want and get rid of the toll plaza. Unfortunately, in order to pay for the widening of the M50, we'll have to toll all ye poor Dublin feckers to pay for it. Now we have ye all in the net and ye can't escape.

Never mind that we pay a bloody fortune in road tax, and VRT, VAT etc on our cars and on fuel, they now have another ingenious way to screw the jackeens out of more money on their daily commute to and from work.

The only bright side to all this is that there is an election coming up so you can roast the bastards. However, I'd say most people will be too busy wallowing in thier SSIA cash and whatever goodies the government decides to throw your way in the next budget in order to buy the election.

The way things are going, as soon as you leave your driveway, the tolls will start to click into action. I thought that used to be called road tax but obviously, they need another method to get even more out the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Will commuters be charged the €1.80 no matter where they get on or off, or will the cost be proportional to the length of your journey?

If anything, it might stop me getting as far as the N4 turnoff, realising I probably don't have change, so getting off on the N4 and driving to Blanchardstown through Lucan :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

From what I here you wont be tolled from sandyford to bray - sandyford to north you will be tolled.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

hi hoo, hi hoo it's off to town we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Its been bloody obvious to those of us who took the time to think about it that the entire M50 would be tolled at some point. Look at the number of cars who use the M50 each day but don't pass through the toll bridge (i.e. Blanch to the M1 and Lucan to Bray) and thus "cheat" the exchequer out of money.

The politicos let the "get rid of the toll plaza" rant reach deafening proportions and then they say right lads, we'll do what ye want and get rid of the toll plaza. Unfortunately, in order to pay for the widening of the M50, we'll have to toll all ye poor Dublin feckers to pay for it. Now we have ye all in the net and ye can't escape.

Never mind that we pay a bloody fortune in road tax, and VRT, VAT etc on our cars and on fuel, they now have another ingenious way to screw the jackeens out of more money on their daily commute to and from work.

The only bright side to all this is that there is an election coming up so you can roast the bastards. However, I'd say most people will be too busy wallowing in thier SSIA cash and whatever goodies the government decides to throw your way in the next budget in order to buy the election.

The way things are going, as soon as you leave your driveway, the tolls will start to click into action. I thought that used to be called road tax but obviously, they need another method to get even more out the motorist.

Well said. I hope people use their vote wisely in the next election, as I for one am sick to the teeth of been ridden at every oppertunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In fairness it is much better to toll the whole way than penalise people who only use a section. Other countries have had partial distance tolling so that you only pay for the distanceyou use which would be much fairer.

I can't understand why so many people do not take up the eazy pass option. People complain about the toll delays but if they all went for eazy passes then everyone would fly through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

gyppo wrote:
    Well said. I hope people use their vote wisely in the next election, as I for one am sick to the teeth of been ridden at every oppertunity.
    What good will your vote to realistically? If they want to do it then it will happen. Anyone else who has the chance to get into power will do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

FX Meister wrote:
    What good will your vote to realistically? If they want to do it then it will happen. Anyone else who has the chance to get into power will do the exact same thing.

Yeah. I mean, whats the point in voting at all....ever?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

That's a bit of a stupid statment cianos.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In fairness it is much better to toll the whole way than penalise people who only use a section. Other countries have had partial distance tolling so that you only pay for the distanceyou use which would be much fairer.

The tolled section (bridge and northwards to N3 interchange) is a private road owned by NTR. The rest has been paid for by the taxpayer. Should we pay for it again?
    I can't understand why so many people do not take up the eazy pass option. People complain about the toll delays but if they all went for eazy passes then everyone would fly through.
    Cullen did announce that it would become electronically "barrier free" tolling in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭maidhc

FX Meister wrote:

Run for election. We will all vote for you at least once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The other poster is correct - no matter which shower of eejits gets in, the tolling will go ahead. The Greens in particular will be all for it, after all they hate anyone who uses a mode of transport that runs on an internal combustion engine. If they have their way, we'll all be on horseback but we'll have to stop every so often to poop and scoop our horses "droppings" and then add this to the compost heap.

The only fair way to levy a charge on drivers is to get rid of the road taxes and tolls and add the cost onto fuel. Now hold on there boys - this is a fair an equitable way to go. If you get the bus/train to work during the week and only use the car at weekends, its a pain in the ass having to pay the same amount of road tax as someone else who is on the road everyday (like me).

And conversely, someone who drives everyday (like me) would have greater freedom to go about their business as in theory there would be fewer cars on the road as the cost of fuel would be higher and thus encouraging other drivers (who can avail of it) to use public transport. The fly in the ointment here is that we have a crap public transport system that couldn't cope with a sudden influx of former drivers.

The cost of motoring is reaching crisis point. Add in the rising mortgage costs, ESB, Gas etc, we will all have to look at ways of reducing our personal expenditure as the good times are coming to an end. I've recently got rid of my SUV as it was eating fuel and now I'm in a 1.4. I was spending 70 yoyo's a week on fuel for the SUV and only getting about 580km for this spend. We can't depend on the politico gob****es to help us out here so IMO go for the smaller engined car and drive as little as possible.

I'm rambling now due to lack of sleep (twin babies who take it in turns to screech at night)

Safe motoring lads and lassies

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kbannon wrote:
    The tolled section (bridge and northwards to N3 interchange) is a private road owned by NTR. The rest has been paid for by the taxpayer. Should we pay for it again?

With a substantial proportion going to the revenue. It's not a case of paying for it again as it has been paid for many ties at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

just have camera's automatically bill people like they do in london with the congestion charge

take the plaza off . and shortly after finish the other lanes

Advertisement