Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Jaguar S-Type

Options
  • 11-08-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭

From http://www.autoexpress.co.uk

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_207289_5.jpg[/URL]

[URL="javascript:self.close();"]car_photo_207288_5.jpg[/URL]

" Sleek, sexy and sporty... this Big Cat is feline good! And thanks to exclusive inside information, Auto Express can bring you all you need to know about the stunning newcomer - Jaguar's eagerly anticipated S-Type replacement.
    Without a doubt, it's make or break time for the BMW 5-Series rival. The current car has found a loyal group of buyers since it was launched back in 1998, but its retro styling has put off just as many - and troubled Jaguar can't afford its successor to fail.

So the firm has thrown caution to the wind and produced a far more futuristic model - codenamed X250. As you can see from these pictures - produced using information garnered by one of our spies, who viewed the finished car at a recent dealer-only event - it banishes the retro look to the past. Our sources have told us the new S-Type will draw inspiration from both the RD6 and R-Coupé concepts. It gets a bold new face with a prominent oval mesh grille - split by a chrome bar bearing the Jaguar badge - and twin single-unit headlights, while the smooth lower bumper incorporates twin foglamps.

The clean lines continue in profile, with the trademark scalloped-shape rear window, but the look is more rakish - like a four-door coupé rather than a saloon. At the back, there are neat XK-style tail-lights and twin exhausts. Chrome trim is kept to a minimum.

As with the existing car, the body will continue to be made from steel, with some panels - such as the bonnet - constructed from aluminium to save weight. Under the skin, the S-Type uses an advanced development of the current model's traditional front-engined, rear-wheel-drive platform, too. While a new Lincoln chassis (from parent firm Ford in the US) was considered, Jaguar bosses judged it unsuitable. Aluminium platforms similar to those on the XK and XJ were dismissed because they would have cost too much and taken too long to develop. This will allow the S-Type to go on sale in 2008.

Inside, the newcomer draws inspiration from the sporty XK, with a near-identical centre console - comprising lots of chrome and leather trim, plus a large engine starter button - and similar dashboard dials. A new steering wheel mirrors the front grille with a chrome strip bearing the Jaguar badge.

However, the biggest changes will affect the packaging of the car. As our shots show, although the overall dimensions stay the same, the wheelbase and front and rear tracks are different to the current S-Type's, so space for occupants and luggage will be greatly improved, while comfort should be enhanced by the deep new leather bucket seats.

Engines are taken from the current S-Type line-up, with buyers getting the choice of an entry-level 3.0-litre petrol model and a 2.7-litre twin-turbodiesel. There's also a new 300bhp 4.2-litre V8, sourced from the XK, while a BMW M5-rivalling 'R' range-topper will offer 420bhp from the same supercharged V8 as the recently revealed XKR.

All variants will be equipped with the Coventry marque's latest six-speed automatic transmission. Jaguar's Active Exhaust - which allows more engine roar to enter the cabin the harder the driver accelerates - is also likely to be a feature of V8 models. Prices have still to be confirmed, but customers can expect to see the new S-Type at a major motor show later next year."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a jump decades forward in the looks department alright. I quite like it, but the launch is not until 2008, around the same time as I'd expect a new 5-series to be launched or at least announced. Too early to make any predictions on sales imho

Just as well they rejected the idea of using a Lincoln chassis. It would have been the death of Jaguar. There's only so much a Jaguar buyer can take and the Mondeo with the Jaguar badge was more than enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It looks like a 4 dr Hyundai Coupe with a roundy grille, wouldn't be my cup of tea, I'm supprised at Ford tbh they could do a lot better.

It is not instantly recognisable as a Jaguar, something all other Jaguars to date have been. That's risky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

nah dont like it, I really like the current S-type its so retro looking, this thing just looks ordinary and dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Yeah I like the current one far more then what ever that is ment to be.
    But I will reserve final judgment untill I see the car in 'the flesh' as sometimes pics just don't show the car off to full effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I like it, but Junkyards right about the Hyundai Coupe looking front and the back lights look a bit like a saab.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote:
    Just as well they rejected the idea of using a Lincoln chassis. It would have been the death of Jaguar. There's only so much a Jaguar buyer can take and the Mondeo with the Jaguar badge was more than enough

I was under the impression that the current model had been developed from a lincoln chassis, the LS. It doesn't make much difference that they rejected one lincoln chassis for an earlier one, albeit one they've breathed on before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

That's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 guess-who

I think it's a lot nicer than the current s-type which looks live a rover

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The styling kind of reminds me of the old Mazda Xedos 9:

frk_2415_16169b.jpg

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    I was under the impression that the current model had been developed from a lincoln chassis, the LS

More like the Lincoln LS got the platform from the current S-type :)

But yes they share the same platform. The Lincoln got compliments that it had the handling of a European luxury saloon. I didn't until now know that the V6 engines in the S-type came from the Ford Taurus though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mmmm the current S-Type was too retro IMO. It looked foolish !

The grille on the proposed 0'8 model is silly also and I agree if it dont look like a Jaguar it wont work !!

I like the rear end, I do see the Hyundai looks too but thats a good look IMO. I think they need to change the front grille and get some twin headlamps going, get it more aggresive looking !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

looks styled for the US market

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote:
    More like the Lincoln LS got the platform from the current S-type :)

But yes they share the same platform. The Lincoln got compliments that it had the handling of a European luxury saloon. I didn't until now know that the V6 engines in the S-type came from the Ford Taurus though :eek:

I'm sure jaguar had an input in the project, the LS may not have been as good without the S-Type, but the S-Type would never have existed without the LS. As for the engines, I'd imagine jaguar took the basic blocks but reworked the heads.

Advertisement