Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fatal accident on Malahide Rd yesterday..

Options
  • 11-08-2006 6:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Another life gone anyway..

Motorcyclist this time though.

I wouldn't be particularly squeemish but I winced when I saw the state of the bike. There was a bit of the saddle left and one wheel.. that was it. The Opel Corsa it hit was a bit of a mess too but the driver walked away from it.

I didn't get a chance to take a picture but I wish I could've to show some of you how bad it was.

Guards had the area sealed off behind tape and a diversion was put in place.

However, ONLY in Ireland would two other muppets be able to cause another accident about .5km down the road opposite UCI cinema, not sure what happened but it was minor enough yet managed to cause more hold ups than the fatal one. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Funniest accident I have seen(and yes I know accidents arnt funny but this one was)

Was down in Killarney a few weekend ago and there was the usual influx of American's. Anyway Kerry where playing that day so town was jammered with traffic so I wasnt moving my car to sit in it, do enough of that during the week in Dublin. SO was sitting with GF on a bench relaxing in the sun. There was a yaris which was clearly a rental and a BMW behind it which was rental as well. You could make out American heads on them

Anyway traffic was stopped. Lights went green and cars moved off, Yaris took a few secs to start off with the big revs. Next thing he goes straight back and into the front of the BMW. Now I was waiting for air bags and everythign to fly off because he gave it some bang but nothing. So yaris pulls forward and American from BMW hops out, looks at front of BMW, guys from Yaris was hopping out and the guys roars over to him in stupid american accident "not much damage" and they both hop into cars and drive off. There was about 100 people on the st in tears laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Sad news indeed. I saw on RTE that apparently the bike was involved in 'suspicious activity in the area' prior to the accident. I wonder were they flooring it when they hit the car.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Well the last time I saw a bike in such a state it was Joey Dunlop's bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Now I was waiting for air bags and everythign to fly off because he gave it some bang but nothing

.........I doubt he hit it at over 30MPH !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Big Balls wrote:
    The Opel Corsa it hit was a bit of a mess too but the driver walked away from it.

Interestingly MCN had an article about Corsas being motorcyclist worst enemy. According to yhr insurance companies in the UK they are involved in more accidents with motorcyclist than any other car type.

MrP

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:

My brothers girlfriend was in her car and misjudged coming into the house and banged the front of her car on the wall, was only doing 5-10Mph and the airbag went off

Now I was waiting for air bags and everythign to fly off because he gave it some bang but nothing

Sorry about the triple posts........dunno how that happened !
    My brothers girlfriend was in her car and misjudged coming into the house and banged the front of her car on the wall, was only doing 5-10Mph and the airbag went off

........direct front hit is over 30, however once there is any sideways impact it can set it off at a lower speed ! This is the way they are designed, if it went off at 5mph head on then its faulty, since bumpers are designed to absorb 5mph without damage !

MercMad wrote:
    ........direct front hit is over 30, however once there is any sideways impact it can set it off at a lower speed ! This is the way they are designed, if it went off at 5mph head on then its faulty, since bumpers are designed to absorb 5mph without damage !

Delete them so, yes direct hit it was a driveway with a garden to side and she just drove to far and hit the wall where the garage doors would have been but converted to room now so wall there. It was 5mph - 10mph if you can read. Airbags are known to go off at very low speed hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Kinda off topic.. maybe a silly question but who resets the air bag after it goes off in a low speed crash? i.e the car is still drivable

• Advertisement

lazygit wrote:
    Kinda off topic.. maybe a silly question but who resets the air bag after it goes off in a low speed crash? i.e the car is still drivable

Dont know, it had to go to a garage because the cover on the passengers side shot up and thru the front window screen:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

There's something very sus about this crash.

"The Garda Commissioner has appointed a senior officer to investigate reports of suspicious activity by the motorcycle in the area prior to the accident as well as the circumstances of the collision itself."

There's a Credit Union right beside where this happened so they might have been under Garda surveillance or something. When was the last time the Gardai launched an investigation after a bike crash? To me it looks like it might have been a botched surveillance operation from the Gardai. Who knows? We'll probably never find out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Curious alright that there would be such a Garda statement. Perhaps the guy had been rallying around the streets beforehand.
    How did the vehicles collide? Bike into side of car, or head on, or what? Given the state of the bike, the circumstances of the collision could help describe exactly how the bike was driving before the crash.

As for Corsa's being the most dangerous, well I've never heard that, but I could well imagine that certain cars would have particular blindspots that obscure motorbikes in critical places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just got pm-ed about this thread, someone who knew the deceased. She's terribly upset about whats happened and naturally got a bit of a shock when she clicked this thread.

I'm not going to close it or anything but its worth remembering boards membership is huge these days and increasingly there a good chance stuff in the real-world which is commented upon here will have a knock-on effect.

So please 'tread lightly' while contributing.

Thanks.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

mike65 wrote:
    Just got pm-ed about this thread, someone who knew the deceased. She's terribly upset about whats happened and naturally got a bit of a shock when she clicked this thread.

I'm not going to close it or anything but its worth remembering boards membership is huge these days and increasingly there a good chance stuff in the real-world which is commented upon here will have a knock-on effect.

So please 'tread lightly' while contributing.

Thanks.

Mike.

All of the above mentioned material relating to the fatality was on the radio yesterday, RTE1. There was a few calls made to the Gardai earlier in the day before the accident reporting people on a motorbike acting suspiciously, all public domain.

mrbungle wrote:
    All of the above mentioned material relating to the fatality was on the radio yesterday, RTE1. There was a few calls made to the Gardai earlier in the day before the accident reporting people on a motorbike acting suspiciously, all public domain.

Have to agree here, this is a public domain, if she seen this ad in the press yesterday would she read and then complain to the press for printing it? or complain to RTE etc for reporting it on news bullitens? if you don't want to read it then don't. Its called free speech. If you stop talking about things because it might upset someone where would you be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You are presuming she saw the other media, which she may not and as you will notice this thread was'nt closed by me. Nor will it be bar some stupidity on the part of those who post.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I seen the bike.The Helmet was a way off.
    I really really felt sick.
    God love anyone who knew this person.My heart goes out to them.
    I am really sorry for their lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

flanzer wrote:
    There's something very sus about this crash.

When was the last time the Gardai launched an investigation after a bike crash? To me it looks like it might have been a botched surveillance operation from the Gardai. Who knows? We'll probably never find out

When was the last time they investigated a bike accident? Probably the last time one was reported. Ridiculous comments. Absolutely ridiculous. Until further information comes from the guards please refrain from speculating so wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

rondeco wrote:
    When was the last time they investigated a bike accident? Probably the last time one was reported. Ridiculous comments. Absolutely ridiculous. Until further information comes from the guards please refrain from speculating so wildly.

We sadly hear at least every 2 weeks of a fatality involving a motorcyclist, but can you remember the last time the Gardai announced the appointment someone senior in the Gardai to investigate any of these fatalities? In fact that goes for all road fatalities. Yes they're investigated to some extent, but not to the scale of this. And these ARE reported. If they're in the media, they're reported.

Alright I may have overstepped the mark in my presumtion earlier in the thread but to me, for which I apologise, but to me it sounds sus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

rondeco wrote:

Isn't it Garda protocol to recontruct an accident when a fatality occurs, hence the huge tailback on the M1 last year after a major accident, including marking the road, also moment of impact. This has been shown a couple times on the news aswell. Pretty heavy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

seamus wrote:
    Bike into side of car, or head on, or what?

The bike hit the Corsa at roughly the point where the passenger door and the front left wing meet.

I started this thread to describe what it was like to see such an awful mess, that's it.

Advertisement