Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a cirrus atm card - who to open account with?

Options
  • 10-08-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'm going abroad in a few weeks, so I want a cirrus atm card so I dont have to carry cash.

Bank of Ireland refuse to upgrade my old secondary school account to a college account, even though I showed them id and letters proving I'm in college. Ultimately, this means they wont upgrade my old school atm card to a cirrus atm card, despite me having a boi student credit card (which kind of proves I'm in college :rolleyes:) and a few grand in my boi account.

Are there any banks that will issue me with a cirrus atm card if I open a savings account? I have a monthly saver account with bank of scotland if that helps.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭TestLink

Why do you want a Cirrus card. Why not Visa?

I'm with AIB, have a "teenlink" account since i was 13, lost my atm card in jun 2003, and my "new" one was a cirrus card.

So i reckon yo'll have no problem getting a cirrus card from them.

(My card doesn't actually say cirrus on it, but i was on the continent for all of July, and it worked in every machine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

ITguru wrote:
    Why do you want a Cirrus card. Why not Visa?

i already have a student mastercard. i want a cirrus atm card so i can withdraw money from my account abroad, rather than on credit with my mastercard.

emmet, i think i'll try that with boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

AIB use a PLUS card, as far as I can tell it's just a rival to cirrus that seems to have as much compatibilty as cirrus does with foreign atms. I've used my AIB plus atm card on the continent and across the US without any problems.

hardCopy wrote:
    AIB use a PLUS card, as far as I can tell it's just a rival to cirrus that seems to have as much compatibilty as cirrus does with foreign atms. I've used my AIB plus atm card on the continent and across the US without any problems.

okay, so mine's a plus.

Be aware that they don't have quite as much compatability as the cirrus. When we were in Italy, and i stress, this only happened once, but the three of us with AIB could not take money out of a machine at the resort. It was one of the machines that you sometimes see in Spar and centra. But the one person with BOI could...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

1. "lose" your existing ATM card and get another one, hopefully, being newer, it will have the features you desire

or

2. open a new student account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Just transfer the money onto your credit card, then use an ATM to withdraw the money. There is no charge for this, unlike using a regular ATM card outside the eurozone

Advertisement